1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow paint

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ajordan193, Sep 16, 2007.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Looking to repaint my plow and plow frame. What is everyone using paint wise for both the red and black? Also i have some rust on my plow what should i use before painting? Is it best to paint with a brush, roller or sprayer? Thanks guys
  2. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

There is nothing unique or exotic about Plow Painting - it's metal.

All painting projects start with prep. You know, the one step (or 1/2 step) that everyone skips. Scraping, sanding, wire brushing, sanding (sandblasting if you have the equipment), cleaning. You know, all the instructions that are on the paint cans.

I use a rust-inhibiter primer. I do not know if they are the better choice, they just make me feel more comfortable.

Top coat - what's your favorite brand? Or, you buy the manufactures'$$$
  3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Rustoleum Sunrise Red is a perfect match for Western red, black is black.
    Quarts are reasonable.
  4. JayMac

JayMac Member

I will agree with almost all of the above. The only part is I would not sandblast anything, because you will not be able to get rid of all the sand out of the nooks and crannies like your hydraulics, and pivot points. I did it one year and I wish we had never done it because the plow became to be a maintenance HOG with leaks and we replaces a few pins too. But of course that's just my $.02 one may have had nothing to do with the other.
  5. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

i was thinking at or they have a industry safety red
  6. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Sandblasting is the best thing to do if you got the equipment. Proper prep is necessary!! Obviously...you blasted your plow assembled...That is not the way it is done and it will cause problems! No hydraulic components should cross paths with the blaster. The Whole plow needs to be disassembled. EVERY PIN and BOLT !! And the Only stuff that sees the blaster is the blade, A-frame, etc, anything that is metal only. Done right, it will provide the longest lasting refinish job. After stripping it, a nice red oxide metal primer with top coat of choice. I purchased an old 8' Fisher Blade cheap and am doing a custom mount for it. I Just started the sandblasting today with an industrial set-up thats run off a Ingersoll-Rand jackhammer compressor! I am purchasing all new pins,hardware and trip springs. When it is done, I will have a brand new plow !
  7. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i repainted my plow 3 seasons ago after doing some weld repair on it. i had some paint left over from a jeep frame i painted earlier and i wanted to get rid of it, so i used it on the plow. its POR-15 and its great. it goes on a gloss balck, but turns into a flat black over time as its not UV resistant. after entirely disassembling the plow for welding purposes, i sandblasted it and brushed on the POR-15. its held up great. i top coated the front of the plow red for visibility purposes, but that rolled off after a season of plowing, so its all black now and very, very little of the POR-15 has rolled off in the past few years. three tips: do not use a primer (brush it directly onto the bare/rusted metal), do NOT get it on your hands - wear gloves, you will not get this stuff off your hands, and do not use a brush you intend to save, get a cheapie brush because it will not come clean.
  8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Hey guys, I need alittle advice here on Reconditioning my 97 Fisher MM1. I have done the research on here and skowered YouTube and Google. This is my game plan, let me know if there is something I am forgetting, or if there is a better way to go about the whole thing.

I bought a 2002 GMC 2500 HD, with a MM1 plow. The plow was off the previous owners....Previous truck. Swapped over when he bought this Truck. Now, stored inside off season, Touched up about a dozen times I would say. The problem being it is starting to show in the Headgear and Plow. Paint blistering and what not. Still a solid plow, nothing compromising. The way I see it is, I either run it till she falls apart (maybe 2 years), quick sale and buy another brand new one ($5k), or dump some time and $ into it and get a new plow out of the deal that will hopefully last me a long time to come.

Where in business right. A Little for a lot is the idea here?!?!

I have a guy that will Sandblast the whole unit for $150. - $200.. Awesome price I think. So I went out and spent a grand in new Pins all the way around, chain, Cutting edege, springs, Spring tool, new labels, Cables plow side, Hydrulic hoses, and some other hardware.....and of coarse the Fisher Paint. I am going to wire wheel, scrap, basically do my own work on the Rams and pump. There already in pretty good shape, and as I have seen around sandblasting crucial part equals problems later. This is where my plan waivers a bit. When I get the plow back, what do I need to do for prep work? My grand idea was to prime it with....something, then use Fisher Powder Coat spray bombs as a final prep layer, water sand a little, then spray a few coats of the regular Fisher paint as a final layer. As far as the A Frame and Headgear go...I am at a loss. I want that High Gloss Black, but I also want it to bond with the metal to last for years to come rather then blister off like most do. Fisher sells the stuff, but has anyone have any experience with this?? ANY IDEAS???
  9. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

What I have used is rustoleum gloss black. However, and a big HOWEVER, I mixed the rustoleum black with urethane hardner and reducer and sprayed it with a HVLP gun. I mix it 8(paint):2(reducer):1(hardner). I have done this with plow frame parts and my boat trailer/fenders and it really comes out good. The hardner is the key. Any local bodyshop supply place will have it or even e-bay with have the hardner too. I agree sandblasting is the way to go. See my post on converting old school diamond to Fisher MM(x).
  10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Thanks TJ. I apreicate the Recipe. If that Jet Boat trailer is what you guys used.....that is exactly what I am looking for. I'll post some pics when i am through with her. Thanks again!
  11. I paint (and do auto recon) for my REAL living (the non-snow months). The absolute most important part to ANY paint job is - proper and compete prep work.

Last year I recon'd a plow (a Western) for a guy I know - and he wanted me to paint it, I convinced him to let me try an experiment - we covered everything - and I mean EVERY part of the rig- with spray on bedliner (Yes, the kind used for pick-up truck beds). At the end of last season he called me and said it looked as good as new, as the day we finished the work. We sprayed it approx 4-6mm thick. I am curious to see what is looks like at the end of season 2. Entire project cost about $350 to complete - and you can tint the liner any color you like - black-yellow-red-pink-green-whatever.

( I no longer do spray in liners, but if you are going to try this - feel free to PM me and I will help you with advice if needed)

You can check out more about my biz (if you care) at www.intextreconditioning.com

12. itr.#1446

itr.#1446 Member

i was thinking off doing this and using one of those plastic shields to get the snow to still roll off good. Now can that be sprayed straight onto bare metal or would it be good to put something underneath like por 15 or something?