1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow paint

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lownrangr, May 8, 2004.

1. I want to paint the frame of my plow this spring, but I really don't know what kind of paint to use? Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you have to sand it and use a rust preventive paint or you can have that bedline stuff sprayed on it line x rhino it will never rust again
  3. Rustoleum? Would that be a quality paint or do I need a more commericial type of paint?
  4. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

i did my blizzard in a rustoleum enamel looks good now we will see how it holds up make shure you spend the time on the prep work

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I'm with Thundercat, but that Rhino sounds good. How does it affect the "pivot action" Plowman?
  6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i have no clue never done it they said it doesnt change
  7. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i used the "high quality" walmart spray in bedline stuff, mine has held up except where the table turns it has wore it off
  8. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I used that Duplicolor spray that you can get from any place. Once it cured it held up quite good, except where the ears pivot.
  9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

My advice is wire brush the majority of the nasty stuff off and hose some rustoleom or wallyworld specail on the rusty/nicked spots and be done with it. The factory powder coat(dont get much tougher than that paint wise) gets blasted off. Dont get too excited about getting it down to bare metal and priming it and all that since it will be getting scraped and banged off. Just blast it after every season and be done with it.

The mold board is a different story since its easier to get it spoty and it will show quite a bit more. You may actually want to try to prep that deecent and spray it with an automotive type gun.

If you are really concerned about how it looks spend the $$$ and take it all apart and get it rino lined. Much more expensive but it should hold up reasonably well. I'm anal about my stuff though and I still wouldnt go through that.
  10. Thanks for all the recomendations. I ended up cleaning the few small rusty spots and put some Rustoleum on it. The plow is only 2 seasons old, so it's still in pretty good shape. Now it looks just about brand new! Thanks again for the help.
  11. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

For all of you who have old rusty stuff use Rust Bullet over rust or sand blast the whole thing and you will never have to touch it again. The stuff is a miracle...You can top coat any color...

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

One thing you have to do when you paint is degrease!
    I do it 1-->2 times before I shoot paint.
    You gotta figure with grease, pump fluids, anti-seize and parking lot gunk, somethings going to keep the paint from sticking well if you don't clean it well.
    I clean the visible parts of the plow mount (on the truck) and shoot it yearly with the "Walmart" rust paint.
  13. Jimmyed

Jimmyed Junior Member
    from Indiana

Every summer I go through a couple plows. We use meyer plows on everything. 7 trucks, 1 bob cat, 4 tractors. All have at least one spare plow a piece.

Way I do them is tear them completely down, sandblast all of it. I prime it with john deere etching primer, then brush on JD black or Meyer yellow. Last 3 seasons usually before they need touching up or completely redone. Throw on a new set of plow markers and maybe a cutting edge if needed. any other parts that are worn are replaced.