1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow package a necessity?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by smenchhofer, Jan 28, 2011.

1. smenchhofer

smenchhofer Junior Member
    from in

Looking for some used trucks for plowing next year. Not too many have the snow plow package. Is this really needed on a Ford or Chevy 3/4 ton truck. I could add a lager alternator but am concerned with plow weight on the front end. What do you all think? Does everyone with a plow on their truck have the package?
  2. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Definately better, but not a requirement. Usually consists of some or all of the following: increased engine cooling capacity, increased tranny cooling, increased alternator output, heavier front suspension. Some mfgs may only have one or two of the above and designate it a 'plow prep package'. Most trucks will be fine with most plows, especially in 3/4 ton and up. Especially diesels. They usually already have sufficient engine and tranny cooling, generally run cooler, and usually have dual batteries with a complimenting alternator. most plows will put you over the GAWR on the front because of the heavier diesel engine, but you don't hear of it causing many problems. Personally, I would be more concerned with condition, mileage, and price more than worrying about it having a plow prep. JMO.
  3. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I agree. There are thousands of these trucks in service without a plow package. Look for a truck in good condition, with reasonable mileage.Just match the plow to the truck and you will be fine. Get a bigger alternator if needed. There are also a lot of aftermarket products if you want to beef up the suspension, ect.
  4. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

I would say it depends what you call a used truck... Plow prep alot of times changes what your warranty covers... I dont go with out it on my trucks .. but i buy new and keep them for the length of the warranty
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

it is not necessary but will help
  6. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Dont forget a towing package usually has most of the components that a plow package has....
  7. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Not on a Ford at least.

For a Ford truck, depending on engine and year and cab config, you get:

A. Heavier front springs usually rated at 6k.
    B. Heavier duty alt or twin alt (diesel).
    C. Revised fan clutch (diesel).

On a gas engine, the alt does not matter as much because gas engines produce more voltage at lower RPMs than their compression ignition counterparts. Depending on your blade, I would place more of an emphasis on springs. Having a good spring to hold the plow helps braking and handling. A sagging front end degrades braking / handling.