1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Overhaul

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jaclawn, Jun 22, 2000.

1. jaclawn

jaclawn Member

I'm getting ready to pull apart my Meyers 7.5 plow to have it bead blasted, then prime/paint it. I am going to do a complete go-over, new hoses...<p>One thing that I am planning on is a new cutting edge. I have been toying with the idea of a (an?) urethane edge. <p>I'd like to hear the plusses and minuses of these types of edges. Better scraping? Less noise? lighter weight? Longer wear? LEss damage? <p>I also seem to remember someone saying that they need to be &quot;cut in&quot; run for some time to get some wearr on them, to set the angle of the ground. How long will it take to achieve optimum angle? <p>What is the cost of such an edge compared to a standard steel one?<p>So lets hear it, your best sales pitch for the urethane edges.
  2. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Dino called me last week and we discussed a bunch of things including edges. Since then (all aspects seem to be in favour of the urethane except the 2&quot; front overhang, but my pea brain is working on that one each night), I have been toying with the idea of moving my residential focus to the high-end paving stone drives with a no-blade-damage guarantee. Nobody else will do that. The price tag will be steeper accordingly. Dino - how do the edges work on a pull plow?<br>John
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Go to my web site<br>www.thehousedoktor.com and read my article about the edges. Or call me direct at 860-859-0739<br>and I will be glad to discuss in detail the edges. My article does cover just about all the ?? one would have about the edges.<br>On a pull plow they would be even better, seeing as you would have downpressure. <br>We chatted with the snowman rear pull plow people and they were very excited about a urethane edge.<br>Cost is an artbitary subject, up front they are about 275 plus shipping for an 8'.<br>But that will get you three cuting surfaces, and each one will last 2-5x longer than steel. So you get at least 6 times the wear of stel edges, at a cost of 100 each, the urethane is 1/2 the amount of steel. <br>Then when you add a cost figure for repair to trucks and lawns, you will save even more money.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org