1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow or pusher????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by INNOVATIVE55071, Sep 18, 2007.

1. INNOVATIVE55071

INNOVATIVE55071 Junior Member

I am renting a 75hp tractor for a site this winter, and I don't know what I should use. A plow would be great, but then I think I have to have a controlller in the cab. A pusher sould be nice, but I think it will take too long, plus with the rubber edge, I am worried about not scraping ice. What do you think? Anybody out there use tractors with both? Please let me know, so I can start building a mount for the tractor.
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We run 14 tractors in the winter with 95hp to 205hp. We run steel trip pushers on about half of them. One of our pushers have hydraulic end plates that lift up and then you can use it like a power angle blade. What kind of lots will you be doing, long pushes with the snow at the ends or lots of windrowing. Your lots should help you decide you blade. You don't need a contoller in the cab, you can use the tractors hydraulics. Most of our harness's we have made ourselves.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Well Put Dave.

I have 2 8Ft pushers with rubber edges. I don't worry about scraping to the concrete or paving. I am more worried about getting the bulk snow off so I can let my Ice control/Melters go to work.

4. INNOVATIVE55071

INNOVATIVE55071 Junior Member

thanks for the input. I think I am going to try to find a steel edge pusher.
  5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

So, when I looked into this, the guy at the plow shop went thru that, and one of the things he mentioned was that pushers tend to tear up curbs (since they have a big edge) and they don't trip like a plow.
    Thoughts? (I really don't know, was going to go plow but still waiting on a few more contracts before I invest the 4k in one)

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

We run some tractors but quite a bit larger than what your talkin here, we run our own homemade boxplows on them I figure anything with size and alot of speed should be used to move the bulk of the snow any distance and rely on 2 speed skidloaders with 12 ft angle blades to kick it out to them
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Our pushers have spring loaded end plates. You can actually plow right up to the curb with them.
  8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

who makes your pushers?
  9. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

horstwelding.com. They make around 1000 blades a year. They are built mainly for farm tractors and they stand up very well. Those Artic blades do look really good, but I can't justify the price.
  12. Yamahaluv

Yamahaluv Junior Member

I use bobcats for the trim work with blades . Pushers on the loaders and tractors are my choice.