1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow or Pusher on Mini-X

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by EdNewman, Dec 21, 2009.

1. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Anyone ever try and mount a fixed plow or pusher onto the dozer blade of a mini-excavator? My Bobcat 341 (biggest mini they make) saved my azz in the storm this weekend. I buried one of my trucks in a 6' drift and my office and could not get it out. Without a big wheeloader I went for what I had... a mini-x. It drove right through 4-6' drifts like they were not there. I pushed the truck out no problem. Since I had an extra man, I used the dozer blade on flat and it did great moving about a 6 yard pile in front of it. I think it would be great if I could fit a 8-10' blade of pusher to it. I even used it later that night to push my A300 w/ 10' pusher up a hill driveway.

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

So you want to put a pusher on a mini ex? That would be a first. Good luck.

Where are you Mark?

3. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

I have the machine already, so why not. Its a 2speed machine so it goes about 3mph (faster than most) but still slow. I would use it at one of the stores where I could leave it there before a storm.

4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

So you're serious...I too have a 5.5 Ton mini and have never once considered that use for it.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

5. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

I thought about it a long time ago and wrote it off when someone told me they had a Bobcat trackloader, put a pusher on it and it was horible in the snow. I was freaking out when I first took it out to push the truck out, but after driving it around a little it was great. I bet it would push a 10' box no problem. I'll probably have someone weld me up an adapter to try with my existing skid steer pusher. A few hundred $ to test and try and if it works, saved me $30-40k cost of another machine.

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If you do this please post some pictures.

7. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i doubt it would be practical for you to creep along at 3 mph across a parking lot though, i think you can find a small tractor for a relatively decent price and have 100% more production

8. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I'm willing to bet a 1/2 ton pickup with a 7ft blade would be twice as fast. Not to mention you would probably wear out the rubber tracks in no time. Its not made to travel a lot. Just to creep around. Please post pics if you do this.

9. redman6565

and im sure you can find pick-ups these days on craigslist and ebay and find people just trying to dump whatever they can

10. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Thats what I mean. An old beat up 1/2 ton for about $500 will do better and faster

11. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Faster is not the question, its doing straight pushes through deep now.

12. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Sure go for it. Put a pusher on the bucket too. Maybe even an ebling.wesport

duck plow.jpg

I'm sure it'll be great for stacking.:D

duck plow.jpg

13. redman6565

its not a question of whether the machine will push snow or not because i believe it will, but is it worth the extra costs you will incur, such as a worn out track and under carriage from unnecessary tracking.

14. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Excellent Point.

All I want for Christmas is a Komatsu WA250. Not too big, just enough.

15. redman6565

i think if a small loader is financially out of the question maybe you can pick up a older truck to by you time. id take a look at a skidsteer too. i love plowing with our skids and they handle quite a big workload

16. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

I have a Bobcat A300 with a 10' 9yd RCS pusher. It works awesome. I also have a F650 Dump, an F550, another F450 and an F350 all 4x4 that I can put plows on. The problem is the lots around here tend to require me to move the snow long distances which the trucks are just not that good at. This past storm was a record breaker with over 24" so it is the exception rather than the rule.

17. redman6565

the excavator he is referring to is a mini-x, they're way smaller than that machine there and are tracked, not wheeled

18. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I would not, you are tramming/driving it to much, I bet they are not designed for that much. I would think it would put a lot of wear on the final drives, much less you got the boom to deal with while pushing

19. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

probally better off with a snow blower i think it would be faster than a mini x but a plow or box on a skid is great

20. redman6565

a blower on the mini wouldnt be any better than a plow on the mini, you're sitll going to damage your finals, under carriage and track due to over usage