1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow or plow truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Detroitdan, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I am not really new, I used to run my own route of residential driveways. I have been out of it for 4 years and want to start plowing again this winter. Here is my dilemma. I now have a 97 Chevy 1 ton, extended cab longbed dually. I have no doubt it will push snow, and hard. problem is its a dually and is 8 feet wide at the rear fenders, in addition to being very long. So that means I need a 9 foot plow, or a Blizzard 810 (I wish) to keep from driving in the snow all the time. And this means that I'm going to be better suited to plowing commercial lots and private roads than to doing driveways. So I'm also thinking about buying an older plowtruck for less than what a brand new plow will cost me, and just use that for plowing. That gives me the option of getting a regular cab shortbox that would be much better for doing driveways. And who knows, if it takes off maybe I could afford to put a Blizzard on the 1 ton and find some work for it. I need the 1 ton for towing, so I dont want to get rid of it altogether just so I can plow. And I know I have to consider registering and insuring and maintaining a whole 'nother truck. I'd appreciate hearing you guys thoughts on the matter, maybe you can help me see my way clear.
    thanks, Dan

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Dan ...Same dilema

Hey Dan, I have the same thoughts running around my head right now.I also have a one ton and to put a new plow on it as you know is around $4,000-Looking threw the local classifieds it looks like a 3/4 ton with P/A plow something solid in the mid 80's would run about $1,500????? I dont need another truck but!!!! I am leaning towards another truck.
    Allan

3. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Your right on osh--Last week I saw an early 90's 1/2 ton shorty with a 71/2 fisher on the side of the road for $1800.It did have 224k on it! The story was it was a commuter vehicle and plowed the guys driveway a couple of nieghbors and relatives. The guy was sick of the recent hike in gas to the tune of about 30 bucks a week.$ I was 15 minutes too late he took 1600 for it So they can be had if you look hard enough!

4. Oshkosh

I found a 1988 F250

Hi,two weeks ago I found a 1988 F250 4x4 8'Fisher 351gas, needed rust repair over the rear wheel arches and some TLC(minor stuff) but was a driver until it failed Maine inspection for the rust,bottom line was $800- They are out there.Throw in the POOR fuel mileage and we will be seeing more and more of them.

5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

my old shop had a yard dog Chevy ratbox, I could have bought for $400 but it wasnt really roadworthy and the rear axle is bent. They sold it for $500, and I just saw it on Ebay, guy ended up getting $1450 for it. It was'nt even funny reading what he said about it, because it was all made up! what a scumbag. A friend of mine has a 77 plowtruck, and I know its solid but I dont know as I want to go back to the old fashioned stuff, I'd like something from the 90s, be a little more comfortable.

6. Oshkosh

If I see anything...

If I see anything that looks ok I'll pass it along.I am leaning towards another Oshkosh,talk about extremes.lol