1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

**Plow or no Plow on 08 Duramax**

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BLK BZT, Feb 18, 2011.

1. BLK BZT

BLK BZT Junior Member

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ Z71 Crew Cab Std. Box Duramax Diesel 6.6 Dual Batteries

I know it will pull a house, but will it push one? Can I put a Boss VXT 8'2 or 9'2 or my 2001 Western MVP 8'6 on this beast?
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Yes u can.timbrens up front a few cranks of the t bars and 1000lbs of ballast against tailgate and u can plow through 3 feet of snow in the v position like it is butter. Believe me I did it with my old bosses duramax with a 8.5 straight blade on a 150 ft run.
  3. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

These trucks push like theres no tomorrow. Run ballast and some sort of of suspension aid in the front such as the aforementioned timbrens. Just keep in mind, that diesel motor is aweful heavy so chances are you'll be over your front axle ratings.
  4. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

Surprised the vultures aren't ready to attack this poor guyThumbs Up
  5. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

We've had a Boss 9.2 V on our 2006 Chevy 2500 Duramax standard cab/bed since we bought it new, 5 years now.
  6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Runnig extreme v for 2 years and had a plow on its whole life and I drive all over the northeast with plows on this truck never had a problem and never will,
  7. topdj

topdj Senior Member

better put one of those fancy GM frame kits on with that much weight in the rear
  8. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

I dont know if I would. when I first got my truck 4-5 years ago, it's an 02 Crew Cab D Max. The fisher dealer said No. Now they say I can hang a 7.6 HD. With talk about the frame cracking issue,I dont know if I would . They say adding the Gusetts will help .I dont think I will add a plow to it.I would just worry about a frame problem.
  9. BLK BZT

BLK BZT Junior Member

Last month I was driving a 2010 2500HD CC vortec with an 8'2 Boss VXT and 5K of salt in the 6.5 bed with no problem. The truck actually leveled out with the weight and that was it. It handled and worked like a champ. I wouldn't have guessed that I would have any problems with my new 08 duramax till I read something that scared me. I will make the small modifications and make history with this Chevy. Thumbs Up
  10. topdj

topdj Senior Member

the 2011 frames sure look a bit more stout, but any truck that has a half ton in the bed and a half ton plow is gonna put a lot of pressure in the front part of the frame
  11. dmax08

dmax08 Senior Member

I say put any plow on you want. I Have installed atleast 50 v plows on these trucks. Not one issue that i am aware of.

Timbrens installed each time as well.
  12. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

YES!!!!! Install the gussets as a minimum prep and you will be fine.
  13. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

kinda off subject here but when people say add ballasts to the truck....would you not have to do anything if you had a steel flat bed ?? im guessing the steall flat bed wiegh a descent amount more than the bed. wen me and my friends lifted the 6.5 bed off my truck to lower it.....it took four of us and it was pretty heavy. however im thinkn a steel flatbed would have more wieght with the bracing underneath??
  14. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

The steel flatbed will help but you want weight behind the rear wheels for the ballast to be most effective. Cant go wrong with a Duramax though.