1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow or commerical blower for beginner.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mcraw05, Sep 7, 2014.

?

Best removal equipment to begin a business

Poll closed Feb 4, 2015.
  1. Truck with blade and truck spreader

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Commercial blower and walk behind salt spreader

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Commerical blower and hand spread salt

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mcraw05

mcraw05 Junior Member

I plan to begin my own snow removal business this coming season in Ann Arbor MI. I do not currently have a truck or equipment so I was thinking of buying a commercial snow blower and a walk behind spreader to begin. Does anyone have any tips on how to get started? Is this reasonable for a beginner? What is a good way to target my audience of home owners/landlords/small businesses to start. Any input is greatly appreciated! I plan for the time being to purchase an older avalanche or pick-up just to haul equipment. Former Seabee looking to use my "can do" attitude to earn some extra cash.

2. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Sub-contract for someone.

Michael

3. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

Go work for a company for a year or two and then decide if you want to start your own business. What kind of vehicle do you have now? Do you have any snow removal accounts lined up yet?

4. mcraw05

mcraw05 Junior Member

No equipement

I'm shopping for a vehicle currently so I have some wiggle room on what to purchase. I don't have any equipment yet but I have the start up cash.

5. CowboysLC_DE

The problem is you can easily mis-judge a property and spend too much time and not make enough money. Also, if you skimp on salt and someone slips and falls it's all coming back to you.

Ex. Most subs in my area make $75/hr. I had a couple guys that bought beat up trucks, paid for insurance and would work for $40 an hour subbing for me. Cheap pay = Lousy Job

Michael

edit: As far as start-up cash goes, none of us know what that means. Do you have $5,000 to buy a beat-up used plow truck that maybe has a spreader on it or do you plan on buying a nice used truck or new truck ranging from $20,000 to $60,000 and getting financing.

If you do get a walk-behind spreader make sure you get one with rubber tires. Whether it is a $70 Scott's or a $700 Snow-Ex.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  6. mcraw05

mcraw05 Junior Member

Ok, I'll look into sub-contractor work. I'm just trying to earn some extra cash with flexible temporary hours. Any ideas how to become a sub contractor?

7. mcraw05

mcraw05 Junior Member

I was looking to spend between 10-15k on the truck and purchase equipment separately. Another 5-6k.

8. CowboysLC_DE

Stop into your local plow dealers and ask them. Leave your name and number if they'll let you and you will get a few calls.

Otherwise, approach guys that you've seen driving in "caravans" of plow trucks to jobs. Or smaller companies that do larger parking lots.

Michael

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

This.......