1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow options

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Alpha Property, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

Greetings all, man, August 28th and its a chilly 58 degrees out and rainy here is southern Ontario, winter is just around the corner.
    So i'm starting to look around for my first snow plow. I will be doing mostly residential drive ways and 1 small church parking lot as of rite now and i plan on focusing most of my attention on the residential drives, its just a much larger market in my area rite now.
    i currently have a 2000 Z71 1500 chev with a 5.3L, i believe the general vote on hear is for a 7.5- 8ft blade correct? and the only local dealers that i can find are for western and boss. now my main questions are, what do you prefer and why? a trip edge or a full moldboard trip style plow? and a V plow vs a straight edge plow? worth the price differamce for doing driveways? and the last biggie is western's chain lift or boss hydraulic lift? using a steel blade will the steel be heavy enough to give the down pressure needed to back drag or should i opt for the non chain system? on and i almost forgot, western's "optional back drag edge", is this a big selling feature over a boss?

also i do know that my truck is " light duty" compared to what alot of you guy's are running, but i'm 20 years old and live at home and i just got the truck in march, and if i trade it in for a new F350, my parents will freak about "waste of money" on the current truck and what not, so if this truck makes it through the winter i will be happy and hope to upgrade to a 2000-2007ish F350 std cab long box 4x4 non dully with a dump insert and then moving the plow over to it for next season
    Thanks in advance for all the help

2. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

Unless you get a Sno Way w/down pressure, you will want to also get a back drag blade. It makes a world of difference. I personally prefer a trip edge design since if you hit something, your entire load doesn't spill out.

You are correct, a 7 1/2' or 8' plow is what's "recommended" for your truck, but if you are planning on upgrading to a 1 ton next year and swapping the plow, it will be too small.

You said "If this truck makes it through the winter......". That is not a good endorsement for your vehicle! You will be out at all hours of the day and night, and the last thing you want to worry about is if your truck will leave you stranded! With a normal vehicle, if it breaks down, you are "only" out the repair money and your time, but when a plow truck goes down, you are out the repair money, the money you will lose from not servicing your customers, and possibly completely losing the customers because they weren't able to get to work. Even with a brand new truck, you still need to have the name and number of another plow guy who is willing to help you out if your truck goes down. You also need to know the hours of your local equipment dealer in case everything hits the fan, and you need to rent a skid steer to take care of your customers.

In this case, your parents are probably correct. Get into the biz for a little bit before buying a lot of expensive equipment. See how much money you can make this season (if any), and see if all of the cash makes up for going 36 hours without sleep. After this season (or even next season), then upgrade to the bigger and better equipment.

Do not forget to get commercial insurance for your plow, as well as for your biz. If you hit a car, garage, or anything else, your regular insurance will not honor the claim, and you will be personally liable. Not everyone gets commercial insurance, but the one time you need to file a claim, you will be happy that you did.

Good luck!

Evan

3. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

Thanks for the info, I worked as a heavy equipment mechanic for 2 years after leaving highschool for an arial lift company and ended up hating it, and i've cut lawns since i was about 8 years old with my dad (he works full time at our local papermill). this summer i decided to quit my job and become a full time lawn cutter and it has worked out well so far, but in the early spring i rushed into buying a truck and kinda regret purchasing this one, it is in good mechanical condition and i belive it should last atleast 1 season of plowing, maybe i'll keep it on as a spare over the next few years if planning on still buying a new truck over the next summer.
    Has anyone used western's back drag edge on their plow's before?

4. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

I'm sure western or boss make this style plow also, but Hiniker makes a what that call a C plow where it folds over which is perfect for driveways being that most of the time you are having to back drag them. Hope everything holds up for you this winter and Good Luck!

5. jmainel1

jmainel1 Junior Member

I've used most plow makes, Fisher, Western and Blizzard are all owned by the same company but Western's ultra mount with the back blade is an awesome setup, REALLY easy to put on and take off and the most forgiving when lining it up to hook it up. You can't back blade too much snow, but enough to get the truck turned around and used the right way. The Hiniker is a fine idea but it does not work that well...I found with mine snow and ice would get jammed in the forks making it hard to hook up...also had problems with it folding down and not coming back up...

6. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Not sure if you know this or not, but Sno-way is the only one with down pressure, the rest rely on the weight of the blade. Also, you might want to find out the weights of the v-plows, as they tend to be alot heavier. Biggest thing is to watch your front axle weight rating, if you are over it and have an accident, it may not turn out so well for you, not to mention possibly wearing the truck out even faster.

V-plows are nice though and the scoop function makes cleanup and stacking alot easier. As for the trip style, it varies person by person, edge is nice because as like mentioned, you dont lose the load when it trips, but blade can be nice because if something hidden is taller than the edge, the full trip will probably go over it easier.....

7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

8 foot - period.

SnoWay is best for driveways - period. You can also do commercial.