1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Options

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BlueRam2500, Feb 12, 2006.

1. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Hey all fellow Dodge owners. I have an 04.5 2500 with the Cummins motor and auto trans. Currently, I have a set of gauges, intake, chip, and 2' Daystar spacers in the front. I am looking at a plow for next season and am torn between the Fisher Minute Mount and the Western UltraMount, both with 8 ft blades. What are you guys running on your diesels? I am mainly going to do commercial plowing as a subcontractor and about 10 houses. The houses that I will be doing are pretty open, so I don't have to worry about fitting the truck down the side of the house or circular driveways.

Also, I have been getting e-mails from Terry@Quality Truck Equipment http://www.4qte.com/snow_plow_sale.html and they have a Western UltraMount 8 ft blade for $3151. How much should I expect to pay to have it installed?

Sorry for the long post, but I want to make sure I am thorough. Thanks in advance for any help.payup

2. ynot_5_0

ynot_5_0 Member

I would tack on another $250-500 for the install at least in my area.

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Hells Bells....I was quoted about a year ago for a 7'6" Western Ultramount installed for $4195.:dizzy: I would say go for a 8' Fisher X-blade. They look cool as hell and are made to really push snow.:waving:

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Preference- all preference. Do you like full trip or edge trip style blades? (If you don't know what that means you need to do some more research on they're websites before making you're decision so you will know the advantages and disadvantages of each) If you have a preference in trip style there's you're answer. 8 foot is the right size for a full size truck.

I run Fisher MM1. Don't like full trip personally, others do. X blade to normal blade Fisher is another question for preference I think. My next plow will probabily be an xblade- I like the aggressive scrape angle.

5. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Take a look at the dodge pic posts I just put a 9ft curtis on my 05 cummins and I have a 8.5curtis on my 05 quad cab.Get at least a 8.5 any plow.the truck pushes like an ANIMAL.

6. Jay_W

Jay_W Junior Member

what echo said. i can out push anyone in this area.
    '97 2500 long bed, long cab 5sp cummins, 8' MM1
    Jay

7. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I know some guys do the big blade but check you weight with the diesel. Your springs are getting a work out.Think of you traveling time, how long its on and even adding Timbrens. and more ballast.

I did it but there is always a trade off.

8. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Your right,I have a sander on the back of mine and I remove the blade the day after the storm.

9. BlueRam2500

Thanks for the responses guys. I really never thought about my trip preference. I don't know which one I would want. I think I am going to wait until the winter is over and buy a plow. As all of you I'm sure know, the prices are more expensive now, especially since we had 20' plus here over the weekend. Thank you for all the help.

10. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

You need to first figure out where your dealers are located - how close they are to you, and let that influence your decision - you will find that the closer they are during a storm the better off that you are. Also I am from NW Illinois and deal with Terry Stahly at Quality Truck Equipment and they are fantastic people to deal with, couldn't find a nicer bunch of people. I have the Western ultramount from them and love it. I mounted and assembled it myself, and anyone with fair mechanical knowledge can do it, and the electrical is a breeze, so don't be intimidated by it. I hope I helped a little. Have fun with the Cummins - they are fantastic, I run them at work and they can't be beat!

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

one more thing- yeah these things push like no tomorrow so they can handle a bigger blade- but what are you planning on plowing? If you plan on plowing parking lots a 8.5 is a good idea but not really for driveways. Many drives are only 8'5 wide. Especially in New England! an 8 footer is the right choice in most cases for a driveway truck in this capacity, 7'5 for a half ton. If you want to do driveways AND lots maybe wings on an 8 footer....

Weight is also an issue, it's not so much springs to worry about as the balljoints, wheel bearings and tie rod ends that wear much faster with extra weight on the front end.

12. BlueRam2500

There are a few Western dealers within 20 minutes from me, and yes that definetly will influence my decision. One of the dealers is open when there is 3 or more inches of snow, so that is a big plus if I run into any problems during a storm. This is something that I have been considering and it will probably be the determining factor with me buying a Western.

As far as what I will be plowing, it will mostly be lots with a few driveways. I am going to be a sub-contractor with a local excavation company and I will probably have about 5-10 houses on the side for extra cash. None of the driveways are small but they are wide enough for an 8 footer with some room to spare.

I hear you on the excess wear and tear on the front end. I have already began to look at aftermarket ball joints and TRE's that can help with the added weight. I already have 2' Daystar spacers on the front with the plow springs, so I should be good to go as far as height.

Again, thanks guys for the help.