1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Options for Tundra

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by VolvoL60F, Sep 25, 2014.

1. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

Hey guys, I just bought a newer truck at the begginng of the summer, and would really like to get a plow on it. It's a 2010 Tundra Crew Max, 5.7L V8. I was looking at SnowDogg's VMD V plow, but not sure if that would be to heavy for it? They're made for 1/2 ton trucks, and if it fits on an F150, my Tundra should be able to handle it. Also I lifted my truck using a leveling kit, so it the plow shouldn't sag the front end down much

[​IMG]

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I'm planning on putting an 8' HD Fisher on my Tundra as soon as I find a good used one. You will be fine with a 7.5' VMD Snow Dogg. The 8' HD Fisher weighs more than the 7.5' VMD Snow Dogg. I'm running Timbrens and Bilstien 5100 series coil overs.

3. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for your input! Glad it won't be too heavy, but I am surprised a Fisher HD 8' will work too. Looking forward to seeing it on your truck when you find one

4. mercer_me

Going to look at two, possibly three this weekend. Hopefully I'll end up buying one of them. There are a few people on hear with 7.5' X-Blades on their Tundras and they handle them great and I saw a Tundra with an 8'2" Boss VXT and it handled it great. Both of those plows weigh more than an 8' HD Fisher. I know my Tundra will handle an 8' HD with out a problem.

5. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Is this your truck?
    "Vehicle2010 Toyota Tundra, 4 Wheel Drive, Crew Max Cab, Short Bed, 4,000 FGAWR, 146 Wheel Base, Single Rear Wheel, 5.7L Engine, High Beam 9005" I guessed on the short bed...

6. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

Nice! Post a pic if you end up buying one of them. I've seen a Tundra with a Boss VXT as well, and makes me wonder why does everyone keep saying Tundra's are not for plowing, or they don't hold up well when they obviously do. I stopped by a SnowDogg dealer today and asked about a MD80, the guy said $3,970 with installation, and he wanted it all upfront. I don't make that kind of money to dish out $3,970 on the table, I turned it down. He also said they won't install any plow that's not recommended for the truck, so the VMD is a no go. I'll be stopping by a Fisher dealer to check out a Fisher SD plow.

Yes, that's exactly what my truck is

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  7. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

I jumped on the Boss page - take a look - and they are not spec'ing your truck for anything too big...they only go to a Sport duty. I had a Dodge 1500 and I had a Standard Duty on it which wasn't even recommended. Ive lost 2 hubs and a spindle and was also one of those who said a 1500 -(150) could take it. You can prep your spring - soils - shock - timbrens, but your hubs/wheels/axle u-joints are all lighter duty (not an insult at all - certainly do not mean this any way like that) - but remember the axle is rated for what it is rated at - upgrading everything above it still is sitting on top of it.

Honestly just saying watch it and ya - beef it up - but check the weights and what is already on the truck. I know They do not do a "plow prep" for that - at least that is what I read last night, as your post interested me due to me losing both wheels! (I'm still plowing with it!!! hahaha)

8. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

I tried to go on Snowdogg, but did not see a place like on BOSS where you put in the truck and it tell you...then I fell asleep!

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Your Tundra should handle any of the manufacturer's mid weight plows. No dealer should install a plow not approved for the vehicle, the liability is too great. Yes there are some who just don't give a crap but a reputable dealer has too much to lose to willingly open themselves up to that liability.

Your own insurance company can deny coverage if you install an unapproved plow particularly if it can be denied responsible or contributory to the accident itself. Falls under the "committing an illegal act" addendum.

Of course if you are indigent and have nothing to lose it doesn't matter.

10. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

No insult taken, but that sucks you lost two hubs, I don't want that to happen! Good that you're still plowing with it haha. Thanks for doing some research, and for your input. I'll do some more research and see what I can find

Snowdogg does has a plow selector thing, but for some reason it's at the bottom of their homepage, probably why you fell asleep haha

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  11. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

That I can understand, too much liability. I don't want to kill my truck either, so I'll try getting something recommended for it

12. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Let me know ho wit works out - am interested - hope it goes well. Beef up front end for sure though - good luck!

13. mercer_me

If you want a manufacturer recommended plow, you should go with a Fisher SD. I ran a 7.5' SD Fisher on my Dad's Tundra and it's a really rugged plow for being as light as it is.

14. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks! I'll be sure to post a pic if I end up getting one

I really would like the SD, and I'm hoping to pick one up before winter starts. On Fishers ematch it doesn't list the SD as an option for the Tundra, only goes as high as the HT, which I don't like the design of

15. mercer_me

It must be because you have a Crew Max. It recommends a SD for the Double Cab. I have a 7.5' SD in excellent shape I'm selling. If you are interested let me know. All you would have to do is go to a Fisher dealer and have them put push plates and a three plug wiring setup on your Tundra and my SD would go right on.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

As long as it has the 4.6 liter and is not a limited.

If it is a Limited or has the 5.7 liter only the HT or homesteader unless it is a regular cab.

17. Saber

Saber Junior Member

Got my truck side set up today at the Fisher dealer, can home and hooked up to my 6+ year old Fisher 7'6" RD…worked like a charm..stock the front dropped 1 1/4", now to get some help with that…lol…do your homework and ask all the questions you can think of.

18. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

That makes sense now, but disappointing. I was at a Fisher dealer today, and they would only install an HT for $4,000+. How much are you looking to get for your SD?

Yeah mine is the base 5.7, so I guess no one will install anything bigger than a HT, unless I get a used one.

I'd get a leveling kit for sure lol. I wish Tundra's were more beefed up for more options

19. mercer_me

I'm looking to get $3,500 OBO. I'd try another Fisher dealer if I was you. I know there are other dealers out there that will put an SD on your truck. You honestly would be fine with a completely stock front suspension if you run an SD or HT. My Dad's Tundra only dropped about 3/4 of an inch with his 7.5' SD and his suspension is completely stock. But, if you want level it out nice, I'd go with Bilstien 5100 series coil overs. I have them in my Tundra and they raise the front end about 2.5 inches and they improve the ride as well.

20. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

That's a good price, but I still have to give this a lot of thought. I never understood why all these plows cost so much.