1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Only?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tony Clifton, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton Junior Member

Okay, like I have said before I am new to the "plowing scene" and the closest dealer is probably at least 4 hours or so from me. I have a 98 chevy 3500 pickup that I bought a while ago that is set up for a plow. It has the mount on the front of the truck, the plugs are in the grill, and it has a joystick control in the cab. The joystick has fisher on it, so I am going to go ahead and say it is a fisher. My question is, can I buy just the plow and lights? It is Sunday so I cant call anywhere to ask. How much do you think that would save me over buying a whole entire set-up?

2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

it seems like youre all set up a you need is the blade and lights and that wont run you too much check with the closest fisher dealer tomorrow

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

If I were you, I would take down all or any serial/model numbers and at least give him a call to see what you might need. You might have to make that drive if you want a Fisher. Are there any other types of plow dealers any closer? If so I might want to switch types of plows. North Carolina...I didnt think you guy didnt get much in the way of snow just freezing rain on occasion

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Tony, try Triangle Truck equipment in Morrisville (Wake County). They are a Meyer dealer, but the guy told me they deal Fisher also. I just got in touch with a guy on here who is in Knightdale and has a lot of work. He took me to some places yesterday he got contracted to show me around and they are huge. I'm sure he'd talk to you too. I'll probably drive one of his trucks this year, since I don't have a plow for my Dodge. Where in NC are ya?

5. Tony Clifton

Thanks for the repies guys.
    Brian, we dont get much snow at all, i would say once every couple of years. We got a snow/ice contract for about 25 small commercials so I am thinking about getting a plow. We are planning on using our tractor and skid steer, and push spreaders but I am thinking about setting one truck up with a plow and a Buyers tailgate spreader. I dont want to put a lot of money into a setup even though one event will pay for those items a couple of times over.

Banksy, we are in Wilmington. I may give them a call tomorrow. I know of another place in VA that is supposed to have really good prices. I was planning on just having the plow shipped to us versushaving to drive anywhere. We really dont have any extra time to drive anywhere as we are busy pricing jobs, and managing what we have now.

I am thinking about trying snowplow supply or CPW but need to find out if they will only sell the plow.
    How much do you guys think the blade and lights will run.
    Do you think I should get a 7.5 or an 8'?

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I say go for 8' since you have a 3500, if it's a dually I'd get 8.5' or maybe even a 9'. I'd like to get a plow for my Dodge, but I just can't drop 4k or more on a new plow right now.

7. Tony Clifton

Banksy, I am with you on dropping the 4k. I could do it, but would be better off putting that money elsewhere since it could be a couple of years before it snows here. I am having to stock enough icemelt for a couple of events, and could be sitting on that for lord knows how long.
    Now if I could pick up a plow for 2k-2500 that would be a different story.
    My truck is not a dually so I dont want to go too big, plus I want to make sure it is not so big that it is going to throw off maneuvarability on some of these smaller sites, especially since some will have drive throughs.
    I have seen plows in the low 3k range at snowplow supply, but am not sure what freight runs.

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Hey since your in Wilmington, could you just fill a tank up with sea water and spray that?:D . We did not get any plowable events in Raleigh last year. The year before that we got a few. I could put $4k to better use else where too, but I love to plow. I'd consider trading one of my 4 wheelers for a used plow if the right one came along.

I'd go with an 8' footer then. You're not going to get any more maneuverability with a 7.5' (only 3" difference on each side). You could always put a set of wings on whatever size you choose if you wanted to gather more snow and help trail off.

9. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

You could pick up a used 8' fisher off ebay for $2000 easly.

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It's almost certainly a Fisher. The question is - Is it a MMI or MMII or conventional? If MM I or II, does it have two or three connections coming out of the grille? You'll be best off going with a dealer to make sure you get the right plow to match your wiring harness.

11. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

If it's on a 98 pickup, chances are, it's setup for a MM1 with SEHP. The easy way to check, does it have two or three plugs at the grille for connection with the plow? A two wire setup is for a MM1 and a three wire setup is for a MM2 or a later MM1 with Insta-Act hydraulics. You should have no problem finding a Fisher MM1 8' in good shape for around $2,000-2,500. Keep your eye open in the For Sale section of this site, eBay, The Want Advertiser, etc.

12. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

if your only going to get snow once every few years or so, wait for a used one to come up.

13. Tony Clifton

It has 2 plugs coming out of the grill.
    I am hoping for a used one, but I am thinking that if all I need is the plow side, then I may be better off getting a new one. I would rather spend a few hundred extra bucks and get something new, however if it is going to be a grand or more that I am saving then I will go used if I can find something.

14. snowblind

snowblind Junior Member

it wil run you more than a grand for it new because it 90% of the set up, blade pump,lights,a frame,etc

15. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, it will likely be way more than $1000. Most dealers don't like just selling part of the plow, anyway. I checked into buying just a 9' moldboard and I wouldn't have saved much over buying the whole setup, anyway. I wound up better off selling the old one as a complete unit.

16. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

It's not just the moldboard that he needs, he needs the entire plow setup. It's the mounts and wiring harness/control that he already has installed in his truck. He just needs a plow setup without the vehicle specific mounts and wiring, which is pretty easy to find. $2,000 should get a decent 8 footer.

17. Tony Clifton

Thanks again!
    If any of you guys have Fisher dealers that you are tight with, could you find out how much it will cost for what I need. I will pay to have it trucked down to me, or I may pick it up.