1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow on the skid steer or truck???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by imjustdave, Dec 2, 2006.

1. imjustdave

imjustdave Junior Member
    from WA

New and really can use some help

I currently own a rubber tracked skid steer, 84 HP And I also own a dodge 3500 4x4.

I have been asked to provide a bid on plowing about 3 miles of private gravel road. On this road there is also about 30 homes that need small areas cleared. The road is single lane and some places are tight, I can drive the Dodge with no Major issues but there are places you have to pay attention or oops there goes the mirror, the homes are really tight and most are too tight for the truck. and the road dead ends in a few places so turning around a dully, long bed quad cab ... well isn't easy. the customer isn't really happy with the prior service and according to him they used a dozer, and backhoe to clear the area in 2 days. Here are my options, looking for advice

buy a V plow for dodge, to clear the main road.
    and use my tracked skid steer witha bucket for the smaller areas

same as 1 but with a standard straight blade

Out fit the skid steer with a V plow to clear the main road.
    and smaller areas.

#4 outfit the skid steer with a straight blade.

#5 don't buy anything and just push snow with my bucket.

I have a few worries on using the skid steer with tracks, and not being able to move or plow well seeing as I don't have an option to mount chains on the tracks. Should I worry about this? do Tracked skid steers work well in snow and ice? machine weighs about 11,000 lbs so I have weight, but thinking back to the truck option how can a tracked machine not do well. ... I know a double negative.

How much will the snow move me in a truck or skid steer when the blade is at an angle, will the snow just fly - move with little affect on forward movement of the truck or skid steer? I'm thinking tight areas again. Don't want to hit a tree with the truck, because the snow is pushing against me moving me ever so slightly to the L or R

Are angle plows worth the extra few $$?

I thank everyone for the help in this, I'm only planning on a buying 1 plow and would really like to pick the best option, and your experience should help

Thank you
  2. RipT

RipT Senior Member

My first reaction would be your option #2. I've plowed for 9 years in Colorado Rockies with a Western 7.5 straight blade just fine on a regular K2500 PU (chains on rear and 500 lbs ballast).

Tracked skidsteer-type machines can be a mixed bag. The CAT or ASV machines with rubber suspended undercarriages tend to do quite a bit better than the rigid frame units, but ice or hard packed snow is still an issue. I would try just using your bucket and see how it goes. If the machine works well enough, I would try an angle snow blade (with trip springs, not a rigid dozer blade) form Blizzard, Heiniker, Boss, or others. The bucket may well be all you need though. Spray something like Fluid Film inside the bucket to let it fully dump rather than pack itself full.

On relatively flat terrain with out ice or much hard pack, the rubber tracks may work OK as is. One guy on the site, ProWorkz, uses a couple of smaller CAT tracked machines for many accounts in the Lake Tahoe area and bolted short sections of chain across his tracks about every foot or so and that gave him excellent traction under all conditions. On the other hand, his other machine was used without chains and was satisfactory most of the time also.

We just got a CAT 287B rubber track loader mainly for general construction work and have used it to clear snow on site a couple of times. The first thing to keep in mind is "Easy Does It". As soon as you begin to slip, back off or slightly change direction or course. Spinning the tracks on snow will quickly form ice underneath and you won't go anywhere.

Sounds like you have a machine like ours. Try it like it is for a while, and then perhaps try the cross-chain idea if you find you need more grip. That CAT 287 has plenty of power but is only putting about 3.5 PSI on the ground although the semi-floating boogies give it better traction than most other rigid-tracked units.

Good luck
  3. I would suggest another option. Find a used truck plow - the older style where you only have the blade and the A frame. Make a plate that fits in the skid loader bucket and is bolted to the bottom and has angle iron uprights welded on to make a place to pin the ears of the A frame to. Attach the lift chan to a hook on the top of the bucket.
    The ears on the plate need to be high enough to allow the plow frame to float. This quickly allows the blade to be dropped and you to still use the bucket for snow stacking.
    ( The plate and ears don't hamper snow stacking with the bucket. )
  4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with a V-plow for the truck, and just use the bucket on the skid-steer. That way you have 2 snow removal pieces, instead of a new plow for the skid-steer, and nothin on the truck. Just my 0.02 :salute:
  5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

thats how most guys around here do it.
  6. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

i would go w/ a boss 9.2 for the truck if its that tight all you would have to make is one pass in the inverted v position and it would through it off to both sides and would not push the truck to side to side and use the ss in tight spots