1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow on my truck OR ATV wtih a plow

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by PRAM, Sep 30, 2008.

1. PRAM

PRAM Member
    from toronto

I have 5 larger properties to clear (12,000 sq feet each) but the rest are single drives and sidewalk areas.
    Anyone lend some advice as to the best set up for plowing.
    My truck is an 09 F350 diesel crew cab.

Thanks

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

How many sidewalks do you have? Do you have any pictures of this property?

3. PRAM

PRAM Member
    from toronto

I don't have any pictures:(
    I would say 60,000 sq feet of sidewalks/walkways

4. bowhunter74

bowhunter74 Member
    from MO.

I would lean to the ATV's that truck will suck to do driveways with it's just to big.

5. PRAM

PRAM Member
    from toronto

Thanks much!

6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Truck brother, truck!

7. PRAM

PRAM Member
    from toronto

Ya....my mechanic said the ATV doesn't have wieght or guts to push our heavy snow?
    I notice you're not far from me....Johnny Royale! What do you plow with?

8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 2004 Arctic Cat 500 with a 60" plow and it plows great but you have a big truck so I would put an 8.5' Fisher on it. Your truck is not to big I know a guy who plows with a Dodge 3500 Crew Cab with an 8' bed and he plows 30 driveways with it with no problems.

9. PRAM

PRAM Member
    from toronto

Thanks for your feedback. The width might be issue?

10. -Iron Mike-

-Iron Mike- Member

I've been debating the same issue. Beat my new '08 truck to death after investing in a new blade (because I don't have one) or invest in an ATV with plow set-up to tackle the narrow/tight driveways that I'm faced with around here (new location)......no commercial stuff for me this year.

I'm leaning ATV.

BTW, I plowed last year using an old F-350 with little problems, mind you it was all commercial lots with plenty of space.

11. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

the quad you will have to be quick and keep up with the snow. my f250 does great plowing. my quad does good too.

12. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I would get a snow plow for the truck and then get a small snow thrower for the walks.

13. PRAM

PRAM Member
    from toronto

Thank you for the input!

14. pushin 4 u

pushin 4 u Member

go with the ATV..I did 2 buffalo wild wings parking lots, 1 apt building only about 8 units worth,and about 10 driveways with a 2007 honda rincon (680cc) with a 60" MOOSE county plow and it worked flawlessly!!!!!!! That crew cab will be a nightmare to do drives with...think of how long it is and then think about backdraggin the length of a crew cab and plow set up...might as well back drag whole drive with that truck...then think of how much fun it is on a quad and the overhead is much cheaper on a quad rather than a crew cab

15. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Trucks, loaders, backhoes and skid steers. We rent a few tractors with operators too, but may have to buy a few as i sold a couple of loaders and backhoes. All of our snow runs out of our Etobicoke shop. Where are you from?

16. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

id plow with the truck. just think when it starts freezing rain and slush? plus you cant stack as much snow with an atv than a pickup. Might as well just put your truck to work thats what there for jmo.

17. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Better yet, buy an older truck in good shape with plow already attached!

18. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

truck with a plow and a throw for the walks and small driveways

19. RLTimbs

RLTimbs Member

I own an ATV with plow.. and I personally would go with a truck.

I have a 2003 S-10 ZR2.. which I could put a plow on.. but no way in hell am I going to mess up my front end.

But if I was going to do it over again.. I'd go with a truck.

In your case maybe try to find a regular S10 4x4(no zr2) or a Jeep w/ a plow already on it.. or maybe a plow for your current truck.

You can always pick up more jobs with a bigger truck also.

20. anolke

anolke Junior Member

This is my frist year doing this for real I had a atv/plow last year and this year I put a 760 speedwing plow on my 99 1/2 ton dodge I am going to do my drives with atv and my bigger lots with truck. but I am also just kinda playing around with about 10 drives and 5 big lots.