1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow on GMC 6500 or F-350

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mdare6, Dec 29, 2010.

1. mdare6

mdare6 Junior Member

I'm in the market for a snow plow,this would be my first plow. As of now, I'm leaning towards a Western since I've heard good things about them here and there is a dealer nearby. Anyway here's my question, I have a 05 Ford F-350 6.0 4x4 srw and a 2000 GMC C6500 low pro 4x2 with a enclosed reading body. I was thinking of putting a plow on the GMC? Any thoughts on this since it's 4x2? Or is it better to just put it on the F-350?

Thanks in advance,
    Marc

2. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

The GMC should run a 10' heavy weight and will handle it great as long as you have ballast.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  3. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

What will you be plowing??

Yes western is a great plow. So is a fisher :drinkup:

4. mdare6

mdare6 Junior Member

What am I plowing? Good question. I guess driveways would be easier with the F-350 while parking lots or open areas the GMC in lead the way. The GMC does have a better turning radius than the F-350. A V-plow would be my choice on the F-350, any opinions on that?

I guess the main concern is if I wanted to install a plow on my GMC would it do a good job as the F-350 or better even though it is a 4x2?

5. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

It all depends on the work you will be doing. Driveways = 350, Lots = GMC. As long as you have some good weight the gmc will do just fine. 8.5' v for the 350.

6. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

I recommend you stay with the F350. In particular because its a 4x4, but also because its a bit smaller and more suitable for driveways. Although not ideal. I used to have a Kodiak Low Pro, similar to your 6500, with 2 wheel drive, and although I never had a plow on it (used it for salting) I can say from my experience that you will most certainly need a lot of weight on the back and a really good set of snow tires if you are planing on plowing in a back and forth pattern such as you would in parking lots. If you're plowing only in a forward direction, such as when plowing streets, then you won't have as much concern. Good luck!

Ps. I run all westerns, for over a decade, and have been very pleased.

7. londog53511

londog53511 Junior Member

You put put a mount on both trucks and get one plow. I have used a western 10' heavy weight and had no problems. If you are want to use the f-350 more then the 6500 you could get a blade that extends like a western wide out, or a bliazzard power plow 86110LP, or fisher xls. The blizzard is just a little larger at 11' in straight. I have seen these plows with wings on them to make them wider yet!

If you plan on putting a salter in either one you will never have a issue with traction. I have plowed with many 2wd vehicles that have no ballast other then a shovel and never been stuck.
    Good luck!

8. pjnlandscape

pjnlandscape Member

I would start off with putting a plow on the F350. I plow with a 2009 F350 extended cab 5.4 V8 4X4 with an 8' Fisher straight blade and it is even a bit big for some driveways. Driveways are much easier to obtain as opposed to municipal or parking lot jobs so I would start with that. And to be honest for driveways the best thing is a straight blade in my opinion, V plows look pretty cool but for my money I will stick with a straight blade.