1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow on Explorer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Jul 30, 2006.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Hey guys, I have a F350 Dump truck with a 8.5 western that I will be using for my commerical lots, and I have about 30 resi accounts from lastyear (had a 2500HD), so basically I want to know if I can put a SMALL plow on my 2001 Explorer Sport 4x4 I just bought so I can keep my residentials and not have to sell them.

If I can, can you tell me what brands and also if anyone is selling a small plow let me know. Thank you!
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway, 22 series or st series up to 7'6". go to the snoway website link at the top of the page it will give you fits and dealer links.

You really should look for a short bed pu to do this job. the explorer is a little light duty for much commercial work. I'd be afraid the plow would hold up better then the truck.
  3. PremierLand

from detroit

I maintain my equipment real well, Im pretty positive it'll be fine for what I need it for, 20-25 drives, and then my big f350 for my commerical accounts and salting.

Thanks for the info!
  4. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Shoulda bought a Sport Trac or Ranger both would have been better, but all the frames are the same and Curtis Homepro fits.
  5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Mark Blizzard 720LT is your best choice. If not a western homesteader, but I feel its design is to lightly built.
  6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I would worry about the light design of the Explorer, but you do maintain your equipment well, that is for sure!:drinkup: I would go with the Snoway for it.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It can be done, I had a 6' Myer on a Bronco II for 4 years.
    The Bronco II's design / concept is similar to the Explorer.
    Just be advised that the Light Duty Explorer will burn through some parts.
    It may wear out before the payments do.
    Mine would use brake pads and shoes at a much higher rate due to the extra weight and repeated low speed brake use.
    ( Springs,hardware,drums,rotors too)
    The Front axle U-Joints are small and tend to break, taking out the axle shaft ears too. ( I had a Dana 28 you should have a higher # 30? )
    Make sure it's undercoated for rust and keep up on it.
    You need to add a big Transmission cooler.
    At least a 100 + amp alternator and the biggest battery you can install.
    Replace the "street tires" with more aggressive ones.
    There were storms I did 200 + small condo drives in 12 hours so I have a bit of experience with a smaller truck.
    It can be done, it just can't plow like the big dogs.
  8. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

theres a company in nj thats selling like 20 used plows for the explorer and rangers of that year
  9. PremierLand

from detroit

If you think of the name and/or phone number please PM me the information. Thank you!
  10. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Snoway ST 6'8" that I have for sale......I had it on a Toyota 4 Runner for 3 years and it worked great.....It weighs about 330lbs. but with downpressure it acts like it weighs about 550lbs....... Asking $1900.00

11. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

id say snoway 7'6'' or the blizzard 720 would be ur best bet. if ur doing that many u might wanna get the blizzard or even try to find a old 1/2 with a plow to save the explorer
  12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Come on guys it's a ford it will break down with or w/out a plow on it anyway.

It is a light duty SUV. Get a light duty plow no matter what brand you get.