1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow on Crew Cab Questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Matt Hart, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Matt Hart

Matt Hart Junior Member

I have been searching this site for a few weeks, reading various posts and have a couple questions.

I have a 2004 F250 crew cab diesel and want to put a plow on it. From my understanding talking to the local plow dealers and this site most people get the "..it is not recommended.."

But on here I have seen some people do it. I am wondering if the following are the best way to go or if there is something better.

clutch fan
    bigger alternator
    Timbren Suspension Enhancement

The plow that someone is selling is a boss straight blade 8' 6" that I want to use.

Are the springs just the x springs or should I look for something above those? Can the Clutch fan and alternator be ordered from Ford?

Any other problems that have arrose with this combination?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

We have 2 crew cab shortbed superdutys both with 6.0 powerstrokes.bothe have 8' western pro plus ultramounts on them . The plows were installed by the local western dealer and have had no problems with the plows or trucks and dealer has not refused warrenty work on either so you should have no problem.Both trucks do have the fx4 and snow prep but nothing else and do fine.
  3. Matt Hart

Matt Hart Junior Member

My truck has the fx4 package, but unsure of the snow prep package, I am guessing no, since I would assume that it would sit level if it did have the package?

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

I think you will be good as well. It is four wheel drive right. We have a 8 foot Boss tripedge on our but it is not a crew cab.
  5. Matt Hart

Matt Hart Junior Member

yea, it is four wheel drive
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The clutch fan needs changed if it dosen't have snow plow prep.

Other then that, throw a Snoway on it an let her eat.
  7. PM/FF

PM/FF Junior Member

The reason they don't "recommend" it is because of the GVW. Most people I know, however, very rarely take themselves and 4-5 other adults with them plowing.

Ford is just covering there collective keisters by not recommending a plow on a crew cab 'cause of the "potential" to carry too much weight.

I have a Meyer EZ mount Xpress with a very heavy 16 GA steel blade on my '01 F250 7.3L crew cab. With 800-900 Lbs. counterweight she rides like a dream. No problems.

Go for it...
  8. lilphil26

lilphil26 Junior Member

Any particular reason to change the clutch fan ??? I have an 05F150 and will be putting a snoway 26 on it. But am curious now about the fan.
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The Diesel requires the extra cooling. That is the critical part in the ford diesel snowplow prep pack. Never heard of it being an issue on the F150, but then in my seltered exsistance i've never seen a F150 diesel:jester:
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not yet, but they're on the way. :nod:
  11. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

yep 4.4 V8.... Not a navistar product either :)
  12. redplowman

redplowman Member

I have a 06 F-350 Crew w\6.0 with a Boss 9'2 on it. The plow was dealer installed and Ford has had no problem with any warranty issues I have had. (Belt tensioner only warranty issue) I know I should carry some ballast weight but don't. The truck rides just fine with the plow on it. My truck is a fx4 w\snowplow prep.
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

yeah Chevy and Dodge are promising the same thing. The ?, will they be the European ideal (focus on HP) or the US preference (focus on ft lbs ) Dodge had to take the CTD up to 6.7 to maintain power and meet the 010 standard. Most US attempts at small diesels have failed miserably. Will their weight negate any accessory additions?
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Can't say as to Ford or Dodge for sure but GM officially says it expects their 4.5L V6 D-max to deliver class leading power and torque, with ratings in excess of 310 horsepower and 520 pounds-feet of torque. Fuel economy is expected to be 25% higher than a comparable gas engine as well. It will also meet stringent 2010 light-duty emissions in all 50 states, using a diesel particulate filter to remove soot and urea selective catalytic reduction to scrub nitrogen oxide.

And even though it shares the D-max name with the heavy-duty 6.6-liter V-8 -- which has been engineered and produced in partnership with Isuzu Motors, the new diesel is 100% designed by GM and will be built without Isuzu's involvement what so ever. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
  15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If they're going SCR, add the cost of DFE and exhaust filters to your mileage figures.