1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow on an old Army 5 ton?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SamWJones13, Dec 17, 2009.

1. SamWJones13

SamWJones13 Member

I've been looking around a bit here and there for a good work truck. I came across a place in Western wisconsin that fixes up the old Army 5 tons and sells them to the public for a decent price with warantees and all that. My questions is has anybody ever used one of these for work? Does anyone know who would make a plow for something like that and how much are we talking for price? I figure for the miles, they're a great price and they'll definitely get us noticed on the road, but it needs to serve a purpose in the winter too. They seem pretty similar to city trucks but I don't even know who makes the plows for those.

Here's the website for an idea of what they are...

http://www.oshkoshequipment.com/products.cfm?pid=2&cat=2

2. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

interesting idea. if your plowing roads or super huge open lots I think it would work good. I mean 6 wheel drive is enough for me to say hell yes.plus if your in the dirt removal business you wouldn't have to worry about getting it stuck anywhere real easy

3. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Those are pretty cool. Low hours but 60's models. I would imagine a lot of maintenance and difficulty finding parts. Definitely still cool though. And is it just me or do they dump closer to vertical than a normal dump truck?

4. SamWJones13

SamWJones13 Member

I think it's just a bad ass looking truck too... it's different then what we see around here usually. I would have it painted to match our company colors but other than that it would be ready to go. I e-mailed these guys and they said it should be able to haul 6 yards of materials and an equipment trailer with 2 bobcats no problem (30-35,000 lbs).

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

That would be awesome!!! I bet you could push one hell of a plow with it too!

6. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Tough to find parts and maintain. Any municple plow company could upfit the truck. Costly though. $7-10K. I guess the question is... what is the price of cool?

7. dually one

dually one Junior Member

i got a buddy whos has 2 of these trucks super cool to drive and his run great ones a dump ones a flat bed

8. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

oo dam

thats would be the best plowing rid strong as **** hard to break but when you do good luck finding anything to match up

but would look like a dam nice truck with a blade on herussmileyflag

9. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Take a look at steelsoldiers.com. They can answer all your questions, and some you didn't know you had

10. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

There are some guys around here that use them as work trucks in the summer. Never seen one with a plow I have considered one for summer use.

11. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

i have a buddy that has one for sale and it has a plow.

12. loudredram

loudredram Member

The company i used to plow for had one. We used to plow big parking lots with it lack of heat and powersteering kinda suck but it was a blast to plow with would go through anything

13. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

holy #$%^ those big tires a plow plus the truck and no power steering?? some body had to be wesportwesport

14. SamWJones13

SamWJones13 Member

I'm pretty sure these do have power steering. I imagine the older models didn't but as far as I know the ones I've looked at do. Sure seems like an all around good work truck besides trying to find parts. I know those guys have all sorts of parts in stock but that wont help much when they're 10 hours away and it's dead on the side of the road.

15. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

In the late 60s, I drove an M54A2 (5 Ton) every day on convoys; Then we got M35A2s (2 1/2 Tons) after about ten months.

The M54A2s had power steering, the M35A2s did not. The tires on the M54A2s were 11x20. The M35A2s were 9.00x20.

16. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

they'd be a nice plow machine for a big, wide open lot

17. Dave Preuhs

Dave Preuhs Junior Member

You're better off to find an old Oshkosh or FWD snow plow truck that is set up for plowing. I bought this '72 Oshkosh from Martin County, Mn. several years ago and it had always been maintained and kept in good running condition. I got a whole pallet full of spare parts and spare tire and rim for 11 grand and drove it home. It has air ride seats, good power steering and 2 very hot heaters. I use if for township work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

I pass that place all the time on my way up to my family's cabin. I've never stopped there though. I think it'd be a great plow set up although I'm not sure if those are street legal.

19. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Those 5 tons look awesome and I like the idea but many times those military trucks arent built for speed. So unless your not going any faster than 45-50mph i would pass. Plus i bet parts are expensive and could be rare.

20. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member