1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow on an f150

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gtstang8706, Jul 12, 2009.

1. gtstang8706

gtstang8706 Member
    from MA

Ok so heres the deal.
    I have a 2004 f150 fx4 supercab w 5.4L v8. I want to plow this coming winter, just driveways, nothing too crazy and no lots or commercial. I have plowed commercially for the last few years with an f350 dump and f250 pickup, but sold them both so now all I have is the f150, Any suggestions on plow setup? I dont want a plastic one at all! I was thinking 7.5' if possible. Also, is there anything i should do to the truck before plowing? Like level the front? Is it ok to plow with this truck? Thanks in advance!:D

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Try a steel skined Snoway 7'6" 26 series w/down pressure, or a Boss mid weight. A set of timbrens is never a bad thing on a plow truck.

3. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

I had a 04 F150 FX4 Supercab. I put a Boss 7 1/2 sportduty on it. A 7 1/2 Boss standard will work, so will a Western midweight and Fisher LD. Snoway is also a way to go, along with a Curtis Snow-Pro. All can be purchased in 7 1/2 foot length. As to the front end, the Ford will take any of these plows with no problem, but you can add Timbrens if you want, but not required.

4. ram1500

ram1500 Member
    from ma

Blizzard 7600 LT great choice

5. gtstang8706

gtstang8706 Member
    from MA

Ok great. DO timbrens affect the ride of the truck at all?

6. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

Where in Mass are you located?

I'm here in the Worcester Area and I have this Almost New! Meyer MDII for your 04 F150.

It comes with all NEW wiring, modules, controls and 04 Ford F150 frame mounts, This plow is truly "Like New" if your interested give me a call, I can also install as well

508 753 6617

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. gtstang8706

gtstang8706 Member
    from MA

Im in worcester area as well (milford) How much are you asking for the plow?

8. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

for this plow it is $2750 COMPLETE! If you want it installed Total $3000

Everything is New on this plow, cylinders, hoses, wiring, modules, controls, lift frame, clevis, Remanufactured Meyer pump done by a factory remanufacturing center, lights and blade is the only thing that is used, but they have been totally gone throungh , new pins, and bolts.

Give me a call
    508 753 6617

9. gtstang8706

gtstang8706 Member
    from MA

ALso, what are the difference between timbrens and just a straight up leveling kit? I wanted to level the truck anyways because i hate the uneven stance. Do timbrens level?

10. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

I have a 06 f 150 go with a 2 inch leveling kit 2.5 I think is to much thats what i have on mine any wieght in the back over 500 lbs and it looks like the nose is up in the air. do the timbrens it will prolong the life of the the ball joints and front end in general. sno ways are not bad plows going from a all steel fisher rd to a sno way 7.5 with poly mold board I was surprised. It will work just as good as a all steel. just remember it is only 20 lbs difference between them. so it is 6 in one hand half dozen in the other. I found the only reason you need the leveling kit is because of the mount on the truck sits to damn low to the ground I was scraping in any dip with the truck.

11. gtstang8706

gtstang8706 Member
    from MA

Ok, but if I do timbrens, do I still need to buy a leveling kit? Or will the timbrens level the truck?

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Timbrens don't level the truck. They make the front end stiffer. They will be working sooner then the original bump stops.

Why don't you like Poly plows. The snow doesn't stick to them as easily so when you are driving around they weigh less then the steel ones if you take the snow into effect.

13. gtstang8706

gtstang8706 Member
    from MA

I guess I really dont have a whole lot of reasons! Ive always had big trucks with steel plows and I kinda always looked at the poly plows as something a homeowner would use and i can picture ist breaking very easily. I do like that it weighs less thoug. But thats just my 0.02

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Poly plows are certainly not only in the "homeowner" category. Several manufactures have poly municipal plows up to and over 10 ft...and have for years.

On comparable plows that you have either the option of steel OR poly the poly is HEAVIER not lighter due to the extra bracing needed to support the moldboard. The difference in weight is generally anywhere from 40-80 lbs depending on brand and model.

SnoWay is about the only manufacture who's poly plows are lighter than their equivalent steel counterpart. In fact their entire line of plows are generally a bit lighter then the same comparable plows from other manufactures. Spend a little time doing research on the poly's and I think you'll see the sometimes advantages of them over steel.

15. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Yes they will make the truck ride stiffer.

16. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Not True All the weight of the truck still goes through the balljoints. The timbrens prevent the front end from sagging under weight by being a spring between the axle and frame.

17. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

just put any 7 1/2 ft plow on it i dont really think your gonna be driving around all winter with it on are you? and if you are is it worth it for only doing some drive ways? i know with this curtis plow i got its got a bracket that stays on the truck its like 100-150lbs and then the plow hooks up in 2 spots and then the plug fast hook up and no way would i drive with a plow all winter for just some drive ways

so i wouldnt do any thing to your truck since its not gonna be on full time and id go with what ever you want just keep it 7 1/2ft

18. gtstang8706

gtstang8706 Member
    from MA

Yeah thats what i fugured. I really dont want a stiffer ride than it already is. Especeially since Ill have to deadl with it during the off season as this is my daily driver

19. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

I like the 2" leveling kit, it gives you more ground clearance for the mount and I think it gives the truck a better look. The newer F-150s have a lot of rake to them.

I run a 7.5' Boss POLY midweight and it is perfect for the 3 small commercial lots that I have.

0406091542.jpg

0406091538.jpg

0406091539a.jpg

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Funny what patents can do;) Wonder what will happen when that patent runs out? Whether or not we'll see red/yellow lexan start appearing on the other plow makes? It would make them lighter.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009