1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow on all season or on and off for use??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bowtie_guy, Jan 21, 2007.

?

Do you remove your plow after each event?

1. Yes

74.3%
  2. No

25.7%
  1. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Just wondering how many people leave their plows on all season compared to just installing it for the event then removing it? Of course this is more for your daily use truck as there would be no use removing the plow from the truck that only pushes snow all season.

2. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

I use my truck for daily use so it comes on and off with each storm. To bad I haven't even put it on yet this year. :angry: . I see alot of guys that drive around with them on all the time, is it that hard to take it off and save your front end. :confused:

3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Yes and No,

3 trucks plows stay on.
    2 of the trucks plows come off a period of nice weather comes, or have lots of driving to do.

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I do take mine off only if there is no snow forcasted for the next few days. If they continue to forcast snow, it stays on since I dont have a shop or garage to put it in. So it kinda sucks putting the blade on in 25 degree weather and the snow dumping down:realmad:

5. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

yes and no, The 3500 has the sander in the back, so that plow just stays on that truck. The other two usually come off its it done snowing for awhile beings they get drove when its not snowing. I think our mounting pins are starting to get rusty though! we had a little shower come through this morning, but nothing worth hitchin em up for.

6. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

The ease of removing a Boss lets me take mine off after uses. That is if there is not any more snow in the forecast for a few days. My 1st truck had a western that was a pain in the but to take off so I just left it on all season.

7. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Take it off why wast money on unwanted repairs and fuel.

8. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

my trucks rarely move once winter sets in, so we leaves the plows on for 90% of the time after December.

I have my personal truck to drive every day so there is really no need to take plows off the old trucks.

Also I only have conventinal mount plows so the bigger plows are really a b*tch to put on in the cold. My 7.5 is a snap though b/c it's so light.

9. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

i take the plow off unless its snowing...its new to me this year so i still enjoy taking it on and off haha.

10. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

We are a full time service. Once they are put on, they stay on until April. Our trucks are all company work trucks, and we don't use them for personal daily drivers like the part timers. Like it says... This is our business, not our hobby.

11. ChevyHD4X4

ChevyHD4X4 Senior Member

I remove the plow the next day if there is no (future) snow to push. I try not to leave it on a long period of time. Like today 2" so I hooked up plowed the driveways and buildings and them removed it 6hrs total. We are not getting anything else for awhile. :cry:

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The one-tons stay mounted unless they are needed for a large job a distance away. I can drive the Cavalier or the S15 salter truck if I need to go somewhere.

13. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Umm kind of a cheap shot at part timers,

We are full time, but we also have a shop to take off a couple plows, to run trucks with less strain on the front end, when there are company need for a truck to go around the city,

14. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I pull mine off as soon as I get home, it takes less then a minute to drop it or hook it up.

15. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

There is a difference of full time service and 24 hrs. service I am a 24 hr service, nobody can prove that they are full time because the weather doesn't provide 40 hours a week each week of plowing, so I too do not treat my snow removal as a hobby. But I can,t get 40 hrs every week and I live north of you. Maybe they should have been more spicific about daily or commited trucks because two of my three stay hooked up because they sit most of the time.

16. Proscapez LLC

Dont you mean your equipment is so old, it takes 4 people or a high low to put on or remove your plows.
    I am full time, This is my only job!

17. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I have an old fisher speedcast which is a PITA to remove so I leave it on all winter. I don't need to drive the truck when not plowing. If it was my daily driver I would take it off.

18. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Scott,
    And your point is???? I have 4 people and a hilo...lol I will put money on the fact that my "old" trucks make more profit than anything new. We even have a few new trucks and the old units average 28% more profit than the new ones do. FYI my plows are new style for the most part. I guess you must be right, seeing as you have 1 whole season of commercial work under your belt. My 22 years of doing this means nothing and is pointless. I go out of my way to help people that are growing in this business and doing it the right way. I don't keep any secrets and I have nothing to hide. I just don't like being talked to like I am an idiot. Yeah, an idiot with a 165 IQ..... Menza... rofl

Your full time and that's great. My beef is with the part time guys that use plowing to pay for a new truck every few years and they go around bidding $100 jobs at $25 just to keep up the truck payment. For these jerks, I wish that it wouldn't snow more than a half inch per snowfall for the next 5 years.

You guys crack me up....lol Don't hate the player.. Hate the game !

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  19. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

I pull mine off after plowing or the following day, saves gas and wear and tear. Plus the ultramount takes 30 seconds to mount and dismount

20. Proscapez LLC

Metro lawn,
    I was just pulling your chain. lol:)
    Your right on the 1 year commercial, what I mean is commercial accounts.
    This is my third year landscaping, But I have mostly been doing rental homes and small apartment units.
    It has been my only job since I started,

But your right on the older trucks making more money. payup
    Actully I'm going south, to go truck shopping this spring,
    Where I'm looking to buy 2 older trucks for my business, But I havent decided how much older I want to go yet.
    I have seriously being thinking of 55 or 57 Chevy pickups.
    which I already know where there are some at.
    They are only 2 wheel drives which would be ok for lawn service,
    But to use them for snow, would mean a lot more work.
    Or using much newer style trucks.