1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow on a v6 5 speed silverado

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nkayser, Aug 28, 2009.

1. nkayser

nkayser Junior Member

I have a 1996 silverado v6 4x4 with manual t case. The truck is awesome, and runs great.

I was thinking of putting a plow in it this year to do my drive up north (long gravel road). My neighbor used to do it in exchange for letting him put his travel trailer behind the barn. You gotta love the bargain system! But this year he has moved.

My question is, do you guys think i am crazy? I know it would not make a good commercial rig, but I have seen people plowing with smaller trucks before.... a lot smaller.

I have also ben looking around for plows, and there are some good deals to be had on used westerns, and even a fisher in my area.

thanks for your guys help!
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The V6 equipped 1/2 tons actually make for a nice little plow truck. So you're a long way from being crazy for the thought. The right size plow, correct ballast and a decent set of tires and you'll be all set.
  3. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Have you looked at any snoway plows??
  4. nkayser

nkayser Junior Member

Yeah, I am putting new tires on my truck next weekend actually. Going to get some Toyo open countrys. I worked in a tire shop, and these are some pretty good tires.

I have looked at the snow ways. They seem like a nice unit. I am going to hunt around a bit more before I decide on anything.

Thanks for the help guys. I know it is not the most ideal truck, but its all I have. And I will only be doing my drive with it. Nothing too cray.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The 5 speed will work for you on your own drive, they just get to be more work when you do small driveways.
  6. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I would think it would be easier to just pay someone then buy a plow. How far up north is it because some trucks have problems over heating on the e-way. Unless you put the plow in the back of the truck.