1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow on a tractor????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oldmankent, Mar 4, 2001.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Hi guys, I've got another question for those of you who might know. My father has an old 7.5' fisher plow that he wants to hook up to his tractor. Weld something into the bucket to hold the plow. It is a Ford diesel tractor. 4x4, and around 20-25 hp. I'm not exact on the h.p, but i'm pretty sure. My question is, do you think the plow is to much for the tractor? The tractor is maybe 6' across, and I was pushing snow around this weekend with the bucket and it seemed to bog down pretty quick with just the bucket. Will the tractor be able to push this plow? It doesn't have chains or anything, but that would probably help. Thanks for any replies.

2. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I've got a 6.5ft western on a FORD 1620 4x4 and it has worked great.

3. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

I have a 7 foot plow on a Ford Model 1920 4x4 and works great. Is he planning on having hydraulic angling? I would almost go so far as to say it's a must.

4. oldmankent

It is a power angle and all, but it hasn't been used for a long time, and things are more than likely seized up. Also, it is a belt driven system, that might be a tough setup on a small tractor. The bucket I think would take care of the up down, and scrape angle, and something could be rigged for manual angle I'd think. Do you have power angle etc. on your 7' Yardworks???

5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I admit to not kowing a great deal about tractors, but the idea of having provision for mounting a plow to the bucket sounds like a good one. I'm assuming the bucket is not easily detachable? We've done some repairs to a plow used by a local construction company that goes on a backhoe in place of the bucket. Of course, it's on a quick-attach setup. If the bucket can be taken off easily, a mount could be fabbed to put the plow on the lift arms. Otherwise, fittings can certainly be fabricated to attach the unit to the bucket.

I still feel manual angle may "get old fast", as a suggestion would a Monarch style powerpack be feasible? This is a 12 volt unit, fully self contained. It could be mounted anywhere it's practical and used to run the blade functions. The only thing I'm not sure of is the draw it will place on the charging system - would it be too much?

Just ideas!

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Its probably easier to hook the angle to a 3rd valve or the curl circuit of the bucket,I have put a 7 1/2' fter on my Ford 1910 tractor,it does fine.It wieghs about 5500 ,so the weight is comparable to a pickup,but the power is down,works fine though-if you already have the tractor and its paid for I d use it.

7. eggy

eggy Member

That is something I have looked into doing as well, however i was going to buy my plow from curtis, they have some nice set ups for tractor loaders.

8. oldmankent

I just remembered it is a 1720 tractor. My dad doesn't want to spend the $$ on a plow when he has one. He will only be using it like 5 times a year. Still, 7.5' seems pretty heavy. Maybre chains would help. I think he is going to weld some hooks or pin holes in the bucket to hold the plow frame. We'll find out this spring. Right now the thing is buried under junk.

9. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

You should be fine,you might have to do some thing for weight if it is only two wheel drive,but other wise it shoud be great.The university here uses a comparable tractor that are 4x2 with 7,5 westerns and the seem to work good.They must, they keep buying newer versions of the same thing.

10. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

Maybe you should see what you could sell the western for. It might be possible to get a plow made for the tractor for the money you would get for western. You asked earlier if mine had hydraulic angling. The answer is yes and it also has down pressure which comes in handy often.