1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow on a 3" lift?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow Master, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Snow Master

Snow Master Junior Member

I'm looking to buy a 99 3/4 chevy with a 3" lift kit installed. Is there anything special i have to do in order to install a plow in order to make it work? Spacers? Adapters? Will the truck perform any differently with the lift while pushing? More stress? Less stress? Any experience and input would be appreciated.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How was the 3" obtained? Body lift? Suspension lift? Torsion keys? Or a full on bolt on suspension lift that drops the front axle and related components? Have larger than stock tires on it as well?

3" isn't a big deal and can be adjusted to depending on the specifics of the lift and what plow you'll be using. Some types of plows are much more height sensitive than others.

3. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

If your buying a truck to plow, buy one that is stock height, then plows fit right, everything will work right. If you want a jacked up toy truck for cruising around, I'm sure it looks cool.

4. Snow Master

There is a 3" body lift. What plow would work best?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A body lift won't affect the plow at all....but a larger set of tires that may have been installed along with that body lift can depending on their size over stock.

6. Snow Master

diameter

what's the diameter of a stock tire on a 2500?

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Probably a 245 or a 265 depending on the truck. With a 3" body you probably have 285-315s.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

245's were stock..which are appox 30" or so.

9. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Probably a 265/75/16 or 31.65 inches give or 245/75/16 or 30.45 give or take a few mm

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  10. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

As long as your tires are not to out of control you will be ok. The body was lifted not the frame so it should be in the same place as it would be stock. I had a body lift on my 2000 and 2004 chevy and had no problems. My 2004 had a body and some suspension with 315's on it and I was very happy with it.

11. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

You'll be fine, the actual frame hieght has not changed much. Just make sure if you have someone else install your plow, make them aware that you have a body lift. Years ago I had a truck with a body lift, sent it out to get the plow installed, went to pick it up to find that the morons had attached the upper plow frame to the raised bumper brackets, welded on an extra 3" on either side so the undercarraige would connect to it!!! Freakin' boneheads!! Needless to say, I had them redo it, this time to actually attach the plow frame to the truck frame where it is supposed to be!!

12. TLB

TLB Senior Member

I second that ducatirider944, because I too have a "jacked up toy truck" too:cool:

Feb 6 08 storm.jpg

13. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Nice truck, It just makes it even harder to know where your plow is and seeing what you are doing.

14. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I have a 3" body lift on my OBS 3/4 ton chevy with 285/75/16s. In all honestly it sits about the same as a stock superduty or dodge 3/4 ton. The actual frame of the truck is maybe an inch or 2 higher with the oversize tires. I wouldnt have any concern hanging a plow on this truck.