1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow on a 1991 2500 4x4 Suburban

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Dec 12, 2004.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

My dad has been trying to sell our 1991 GMC 2500 4x4 Suburban for a few months. We got to talking about my plow business and the possiblty of adding a 3rd truck. The idea about putting a plow on the 1991 Suburban came up. Has anyone put a plow on a Suburban? If so, how do they plow compared to a pickup? I would rather sell it and find other pickup, but sometimes you have tro make do with what you have. Thank You

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I see a few here and there with plows on them. I also see quite a few Tahoes with plows also. With the 2500, you would be fine.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Yes it would take to a plow like a duck to water and 91 was the last year the old Suburbans were really tuff and sturdy too before they change body styles. Even the 1500 had a good frame under them and same front axle except for lug nut count and maybe springs through HD front springs were the same on both models. You do want the HD factory 3 leaf front springs though for better weight and axle tourque control when plowing. If it does not have them you should be able to find some at a bone yard and you only need the bottom leaf too so you do not need to replace complete spring if you do not want too.

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Both my Father and myself plowed with a Suburban for MANY years. It was a '75. They had the weight, and a rather short wheelbase. Tight turning radius. Good for hauling salt and keeping it dry. Throw a small push spreader in there and your set for driveways.

[​IMG]

5. Tarkus

A 75 Suburban with full time 4x4 and a automatic would have been a real tank too pushing snow. :waving:

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

A TANK it was! And nothing beats full time 4WD for plowing.

It just had too many issues, and me having too little time/money to address them all. Had to part with it.

Was my Mom and Dad's first brand new car.

Still see it locally though.

7. Tarkus

I have a 90 4x4 suburban that I have has since new and is the family wagon so to speak. It too is a tank in snow but it is not used much in winter now with kids largely grown and I have no plans to ever put a plow on it either.

8. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

I found a '90 Sub that might be alright. It is a 3/4 ton and seems to be in pretty good shape. I just wondered what people thought about backing up. Most of the newer and nicer subs had factory tinted glass. My grandfather has a 2wd and at night you can't see S##t. Did anybody add additional lights to the rear?

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

We added a small rubber backup light DS rear for it's last 5 years or so. Nothing for the 20 some years before that. But we did fine with tinted windows. I guess I'm just used to using my mirrors.

Back window often was covered in snow/or salt residue anyway.

10. Tarkus

That is the one draw back of that vehical in snowplow duty.

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Here is a pic of the tint and you can barely see the backup light on the far side of the receiver hitch.

Sub6.jpg

12. Tarkus

How old is picture?

13. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, grass is actually green huh!

Picture is from June.

14. Tarkus

That truck was clean then for its age!!

15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Garage kept for 25 of it's 29 years.

Repainted and unrusted twice. Still had lots of rust in the picture. Like in odd areas.....Rear window frames. Windshield cowl area. Rockers were bad again. Rear doors are original, and were peppered in certain areas.

2nd engine
    2nd trans

16. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

dmjr77,
    Here's the truck I used last year to plowfor a guy. It's a 1990 Chevy 1500 suburban with a 7.5' Western Pro plow. It was very easy to maneuver around. The only bad part was trying to look out the back window with a truck that long in white out conditions. We had some bright lights on the back to help see which helped a lot. If it were me, I would keep the truck, but you gotta get used to using those mirrors boy. I don't mean to bust your bubble either but most dealers won't install a plow on a Suburban or Excursion because they are passenger vehicles and are not rated for lpowing so they really can't give you a warranty. If you can hang one on yourself, I'd say keep the truck. Put an 8' Boss or Western strightblade on it and you'll be plowing in no time. If you have any questions, PM me. I'm goin out to plow. C-Ya

17. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

dmjr77,
    Here's the truck I used last year to plowfor a guy. It's a 1990 Chevy 1500 suburban with a 7.5' Western Pro plow. It was very easy to maneuver around. The only bad part was trying to look out the back window with a truck that long in white out conditions. We had some bright lights on the back to help see which helped a lot. If it were me, I would keep the truck, but you gotta get used to using those mirrors boy. I don't mean to bust your bubble either but most dealers won't install a plow on a Suburban or Excursion because they are passenger vehicles and are not rated for lpowing so they really can't give you a warranty. If you can hang one on yourself, I'd say keep the truck. Put an 8' Boss or Western strightblade on it and you'll be plowing in no time. If you have any questions, PM me. I'm goin out to plow. C-Ya

DSCF0029[1].JPG

DSCF0030[1].JPG

18. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

You can get the plow prep on a 3/4 ton Suburban. i'm not sure about the Excursion.

19. Tarkus

Not only that but those model suburbans are better suited to snow plowing even without a prep package than the F150's that some people rave about.

20. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I run 2 blazers in that same vintage and both can handle an 8 footer no prob.I originally had the 7ft6in on them but the tires were always hitting the windrows.