1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow on a 1500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 90plow, Jan 22, 2002.

1. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I just bought a 95 gmc 1500 short bed 4x4. I was wondering if i could plow with this truck will i just destroy it will the trans hold up. I was thinking about maybe a 6'6" or maybe a 7' at the max on this truck probably a poly blade I think the steel would be to heavy and i was reading that the small blades are light so maybe the downpressure system would be a good idea like the snowway. Just tell me what you think, how much these blades cost with the mounts, and where i can find info on them. Thanks for you help.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

You most definetely can plow with that truck,I had a few of those trucks,they plow great,I would put a 7 1/2 ft plow on it.The sno way is a good choice,but your front end is actually strong enough to plow with a Western pro 7.5 ,or Fisher 7.5 if you wanted to,i will sag some with the heavier blade,but 300 lbs in the bed wil offset it.I would service the tranny,and put a large cooler on it,you should have no problems with it.Open the drivers door,look on the GVWR sticker,the Front axle GW,you want to see 3925 lbs,if it has that front end,your set.

3. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

thanks

thanks john but how about the price do you know how much one of those will set me back and where i could find some info on them

4. John DiMartino

Figure from 2500-for a lightweight 7.5 installed yourself,to 3500 for a hd 7.5 installed by a shop.Check your PM.

5. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

front end

the sticker says its a 3880 front end is that still reasonable and i would only be plowing my drive and a couple others.

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i plowed with a 2000 silverado 1500 with a 7.5 ft fisher plow. the front end sagged quite a bit, but the timbren loadbusters helped alot. as far as destroying trannies, i never had a problem.

7. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I would go with the steel blade not the poly, My truck had a poly on it, i didn't like the poly, i have a steel blade now. The poly is acually heavier than the steel.

8. cthom

cthom Junior Member
    from MO

Im sure you could plow with that gmc 1500, I have a 97ford f-150 4+4 with a new meyer 7.5 and it plows really good, and is not to bad on gas.

9. IndyJay

IndyJay Junior Member

I have a 98 1500 and a SnoWay 7.5 which does a great job. It is my first set up so I have no comparison, but with the snow we have had this year it has been A-1

10. c_maint

c_maint Member

poly

little green guy is right, the poly is heavier. they need heavier supports to keep the strength and shape. go with a steel

11. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Plow

How about a plastic plow like a sno way or one of those with the down pressure. I was thinking about those to keep the weight off the front end like a 6.5 or 7.5 length. Does anyone know how much those run in price, how long they last, and if theres any dealers in New Jersey.
    Thanks

12. John DiMartino

I know you want to keep the weight down,but dont buy a 6.5 ft plow to do it,you need a 7 1/2 ft to cover the trucks footprint at full angle,any less,and you'll hit mirrors,tires on curbs trying to get close to edges,the extra width will help you get done faster.If you went with a Snow-way,id consider the 8 ft.

13. GoSlo

GoSlo Junior Member

I have been plowing with the 95 GMC with a meyer plow and rear blade for 5 years and have not had any problems. I feel that the truck should work very well for you.

14. IndyJay

IndyJay Junior Member

My 1500 only drops 1 1/4" on the front end with the snow way plow fully raised. I have the lexan blade. I have the 7.5 which fully covers the footprint of the truck at full angle. The only minor problem i have is ground clearance due to the design of the subframe.

15. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

I plowed with an 89 Chev 1500 for 4 years with a Western 7.5 w/ prowings. I plowed everything from driveways to huge open lots in all kinds of snow storms. I beat the crap out of that thing too. It made a great plow truck. The only thing was that after 4 seasons of plowing it needed a good overhaul of the front end (ball joints, tie rods etc.)

If you wanted to go through the trouble, you can swap out the torsion bars for some from a 2500.

16. Nova

Nova Member

I have '98 GMC 1500 with 6.5L Diesel and Z71 suspension and 7"6' Western steel plow. Little sagging, nothing major. Works fine.

17. John DiMartino

Peter,did the western dealer put that plow in your truck?Your truck has a lot of front end weight,being a 1500,diesel.I know a guy with the same truck,and no one would put a plow on it,he had to buy it cash and carry,and put it on himself.Keep an eye on pitman arm,and ball joints,since your truck has a lot of front end weight,they will wear faster.

18. Nova

Nova Member

Thanks John, will do.

I remember reading about the extra weight problem with the diesel before I bought the truck.

Yes, the dealer installed it. They said it wouldn't be a problem since it's a fairly light plow, they suggested the steel over the poly because of the weight difference.

I also know of two other 1500 diesel's around here with steel plows and they seem to be running fine, although I've never actually spoken with them. I think next time I see them I'll ask.

19. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

Thats the first ive ever heard of a 1/2 diesel!

20. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Me too! Was the diesel installed later or is that actually factory?