1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow on a '09 K2500 Duramax?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by imca38, Feb 17, 2014.

1. imca38

imca38 Junior Member

Looking at an '09 K2500 Duramax with a Boss plow.
    Truck is in excellent condition.
    I had someone tell me not to go there as the additional weight of the diesel plus the weight of the plow is too much for the front of the truck to handle.
    He went so far as to say that GM doesn't recommend doing plows on diesels, but I'm unable to locate any material to verify this claim.
    Is there any truth to this? Are there any modifications that should be done for a diesel to haul a plow?
    Thanks for the input!

2. GONZO911

GONZO911 Member

there is one way to make sure the plow you are looking at will fit the truck. go to manufacturers web site and put truck information into the plow finder. most of the 2009 vintage Duramax equipped trucks were built without any provision for more added weight on the front end. I know that Western only allows a Mid Weight 7'6" plow to be installed on truck if you have a Western dealer do it. The drive line, front axle won't handle the added weight of anything more that that.

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

It'll handle whatever you want

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

None of the manufacturers will recommend anything larger than a 7'-6" plow on a truck with a diesel in it, but I'm here to tell you, I've got a 1,000 lb plow on the front of my 3/4 ton truck and I've had absolutely zero issues with it. I did add timbrens as a little precaution, but that's it. The manufacturers don't recommend it because they're assuming that you'll also have a cab full of passengers in it. If you're that concerned, you can always change to heavier springs, turn up your torsion bars, put in air bags, etc... There are a lot of relatively cheap upgrades that can be made if you want to do it without fear. But unless you've got the 4,400 lb front end rating, I wouldn't worry about it.

5. JustJeff

Wrong. The dealer may say they won't install it, but they, or you can't say that the drive line of front axle won't handle it. Know what you are talking about before you put it in writing.

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

Put any normal truck plow you want on it, you'll be fine.

7. GONZO911

GONZO911 Member

Harleyjeff;
    I am using the information that is posted on the truck's GVW tag that is on the door post. Lists the total front axle weight rating, which if the plow is installed that has been discussed will go over that weight. Get in an accident and any cheap lawyer will own you. That is all that I'm saving. Yes you can put any blade on the truck, unfortunately the people who look for easy ways to get rich have changed the way things are done. Example: wide out western plow will add 940 lbs without the truck mount.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  8. JustJeff

Yes, there are legalities involved, but 90% of us with diesels and anything over a 7 1/2 foot blade are probably illegal. But the work's still gotta get done. And that's not what you were saying in your earlier post, you were saying that the front axle and driveline won't handle it. This is untrue.

9. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

It'll handle anything you want on it.

10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I guess everyone with a diesel that has a plow or spreader should stay home