1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow On 99 Ram 1500 4x4?????

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by LuffTruckingLLC, Jan 10, 2005.

1. LuffTruckingLLC

LuffTruckingLLC Junior Member

I HAVE A QUESTION. I OWN A 99 RAM 1500 4X4X SHORT BED REG CAB. I AM INTERESTED IN PUTTING A PLOW ON IT TO DO SOME CONTRACTING WORK FOR A LOCAL PLOWING COMPANY. IS IT POSSIBLE TO PUT A PLOW ON THIS TRUCK OR NOT. I AM NOT REALLY SURE IF THE TRUCK CAN HANDLE IT OR NOT. IF SOME ONE CAN GIVE ME A LITTLE INSIGHT AS WHAT I MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO THAT WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS :confused:

2. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

Sure ya can. My buddy owned the same truck (his is the off road package) and he had a Fisher minute mount 7 1/2'. He used it to make money on the side doing driveways around town-he just sold the setup because his truck was taking too much of a beating for a daily driver (he started to get a LOT of houses).

3. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

You absolutely can, a 7 1/2 footer should do nicely, the brand of your choice.

If you do a search of this topic within PlowSite, you'll find more out than I could tell you if I spent the next hour typing, as this topic comes up all the time here. But, just quick and in general, yes your truck can handle it. You may need to add timbrens (load boosters) to your front end to help with the weight as the 1500 does not generally come equipped with HD springs and shocks. You'll also need to add at least 600# weight to your bed for ballast. Tube sand works nicely and should be put in the very back of the bed behind the rear axle.

There are loads of guys on the site who run 1/2 ton trucks with no problem.
    Just remember, it doesn't matter if you have a 1/2 ton or a 1 ton, if you don't operate your equipment with care, you'll have problems. That's the key, along with proper preventative and routine maintenance. Anything mechanical has it's limitations. Knowing those limits, and being mindful of them when you're plowing, is the difference between success and failure.

Good luck out there!

4. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

Luff,
    I had a 1999 1500 sport reg cab 5.2 gasser. White w. blue lettering. THE best looking truck out there. I had a western 7.6 on it. A must is the Timbrens and you definitely need a tranny cooler. I eventually went up to the 2500 b/c i had to add salting to the business. I would love to get that truck back for a daily driver...maybe someday IF we ever get snow again. Good Luck,
    Jack

5. yamahar612

yamahar612 Member
    from WI

My old truck was a 95 1500 ram and I had a 7ft plow on it and had no problems.

6. norrod

norrod Senior Member

You shouldn't have any problem.

I've got a 7'6" Western Pro on my 97' 1500

I prefer plowing with it over my 93' F-350 dump. Mostly because of the tight quarters of the townhouse developments I plow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Plow it up!

I had a 7.5 Snoway on my '01 Ram 1500 QC worked great!

I didn't need load support up front because it was a Off-Road Package.

In, fact the whole set up, plow, lights, joystick control, wiring hareness and push plate are for sale. Brand new poly mold board and a cutting edge that has not hit the pavement yet. Your not quite in the same neighborhood as me but if your interested let me know, we can work out a 1/2 way point. I live 30 minutes from Rockford off of I90.