1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow on 90 chevy 1/2 ton?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by intimidator, Jun 4, 2001.

1. intimidator

intimidator Member

Just wondering if it would be wise to put a plow on a 90 chevy 1/2 ton ext. cab shortbox. I already have plows on a 79 1/2 ton shortbox and a 75 Blazer, the old cable controlled westerns. I have an extra mount and plow for 73 to 87 body style with a 7 1/2 ft. blade and was wondering if it could be adapted to the 90 with favorable results. Any help would be appreciated. Jason
  2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Hi Jason - welcome to our "home"!

Although the newer trucks, model-for-model (1/2 ton from '70's vs 1/2 ton from '90's) in my opinion aren't as "heavy-duty" as their older counterparts, I don't think the truck you describe will have any problem handling a plow.

As far as the mount goes, the frames are different between the two generations of trucks, so making the older mount fit the '90 will involve surgery. I'm a welder/fabricator by trade so I figure ANYTHING can be built/adapted etc, it's just a matter of how much time and $$$ you want to spend.

However, I'd suggest that rather than get into all that, you check out the availability of a mount kit for your '90. The plow you have now (I'm assuming it's Western also, so see your Western dealer/distributor regarding the mount kit if that's the case) will probably pin right onto the '90 mount kit. In the worst case, the mounting tabs on the plow A-frame may have to be changed to suit. That's still a lot easier than hacking the mount apart & re-constructing.

And, you'll still have a spare mount for your '70's trucks, just in case!
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I think the truck will be OK,the front end will drop a lot,but the components are beefy enough at least.As for the mount,your probably better off buying one,or selling your plow and buying a used obe for the new truck.The 88-96 4x4 excab GM trucks do not turn around good at all,huge turning circle,so keep that truck out of small lots,and driveways,it'll drive you nuts in them.