1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow on 2wd trucks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Enforcer, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

Hey guys-I'm just throwing this out there, don't call me stupid or anything, but I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x2 truck, 4.7 V8, reg. cab, long box. Could I put a small plow on it if I put enough weight in the bed. My uncle used to plow with a 2002 Ford F550 4x2, but that was a heavy vehicle. Anybody done this before? Please, just tell me if it can be done. Don't just post dumb comments-The reason I am posting this on Plowsite is because I know there is great knowledge on this site. Thanks!!!
  2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I dont think you would be able to put enough weight in the back of a 1/2 ton. So I would say it isnt possible.

EDIT: Its possible to put it on but you wont be able to push anything more than 1"
  3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I disagree. I use 2wd alot when plowing, you will most likely get stuck more often and be useless with anything over 5" especially if its wet and slippery. Powdery snow it would have no problems with. Good tires and 1500# of weight would be need to even try it though and something light like a snoway.

4. makplow

makplow Senior Member

It will plow snow, but i wouldn't try too plow anything two deep our heavy wet snow, Is it positive traction? You have too remember You will have only one tire grabbing at any given time un like a 4x4 where you have 2 wheels giving traction at all times.If time is esential where you have a lot of customers and the snow is comming down at a good clip I wouldn't advise it. Just a cautious oppinion though.

Good luck,
  5. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

Thanks for the responses guys, keep 'em coming. What my plan for snow removal is to put Sno-Way, Hiniker, or Blizzard plow on my '99 Jeep Cherokee Sport, or get an older skid loader, or maybe both. Just seeing if I could use my truck too.
  6. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

i've got a 91 dodge with a cummins in it. i havn't used the 4 wheel drive in three years. i have a big die out of a press from a stamping factory. it weighs about 1,000 lbs, i have 500 lbs of salt in the bed over the axles, it get around but the traction isn't the greatest. traction doesn't start and get good until there is 2,500 lbs total in the bed over the axles. 3,000 is even better, at that point i can floor it and not spin the tires in snow. at that point i almost have to floor it anyhow just to get it to move.ha-ha later, pete
  7. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

I don't use 4wd much when I plow, unless its wet or deep. But even then, theres a big diff. between a 2wd truck & a 4wd truck using 2wd... even just driving my 2wd truck in the snow I can feel it slide here & there. The 4wd have a little rolling resistance with the extra drivetrain that helps keep you planted. I've experimented with both trucks like this. I'd save & get an older 4wd for winter & put a plow on it. You'll DEFINITELY need to beef the suspensions if its a 1/2 ton; I wouldn't bother on an S-10 or Cherokee. Suspension won't take the abuse.... But if you do, I'd only get a 6 ft. meyers or sno way sams club type plow(something light) & beef up your front end suspension. Been there, seen the death toll taken :gunsfiring:
  8. The 2WD will plow, but light snow only. It'll take care of the Alberta Clippers that get to SE Minnesota, but not the heavy, wet storms from the 4 corners region.
    The crazy thing to think about is when you're driving up the driveway getting ready to backdrag!
    When the plow is UP, you're leveraging that 300+ pounds that's 2 feet past the front of the front tires, taking the weight off of the back, reducing traction to less than that of a regular 2wd without a plow!
    I like Yardsmiths idea of saving for a 4wd. I've had decent success in the past with 4x4 S-10's and Jeeps when I used to do residential, but only with 6 1/2 foot plows. We even purchased a bunch of brand new S-10's, sold the boxes to the dealers and put flatbeds (the width of the S-10 cab) on the back. I used 2 2x12's for the sides of the flatbeds, then used the flatbeds for hauling toro walk behind mowers and ryan aerators in the summer. The flatbeds were able to haul some sand/salt in the winter for hand work, and I didn't have to worry about rusting out nice pickup boxes.The beds were low to the ground and easy to work out of the sides or the back.

Steve Hoogenakker
  9. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I agree with above