1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow on 2005 silverado 1500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by apachemh60, Oct 1, 2009.

1. apachemh60

apachemh60 Junior Member

alright ive only asked you guys for help once before and was answered by a bunch of people that thoguht i should have known the answer to what i asked already, so here i go again...i just sold my hiniker 700 series poly plow made for half ton trucks and im wondering how terrible a boss 8"2 steel v-plow would hurt my truck if i just did a few neighbors and my parents driveway. only reason im wondering is because i heard of a great deal on just that v-plow and cant afford a new poly v-plow from any maker. let me know what all could happen keep in mind though i didnt have any problems last year plowing 30+ accounts adn this plow weighs just 190lbs more than my hiniker. -joe

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Although 190 lbs doesn't sound like all that much Joe it's too much for a later model 1500 so I wouldn't recommend it by any means. It's also going to be WAY overweight on the front axle. If you need the 8.2 then you should look at purchasing more truck.

3. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I have a standard duty Boss 7'6" plow on my 2005 Chevy 1/2 ton and I only plow my own driveway and a family members'. If I were to do anymore plowing, I would upgrade my truck. That plow is about all my truck could safely handle.

4. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

Way to heavy for that truck. you have to remember that it is only 190lbs but span it pver 4' in front of the front axle and it seems like 800lbs more on the truck. Plus the plow is going to be taller and block more air flow across the front of the truck. best bet is upgrade to a 2500. :drinkup:good luck jus tmy two cents

5. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

We put a 7-6V-Boss on a 2006 SB 1500 regular cab in Jan 2008. It's been good. Timbrens are a good idea. The crew foreman and I fight over who gets to play with it

6. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

wouldnt recommend it but let us know how it holds up if you give it a shot.

7. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Play with it being the key phrase. We have an 07 1500 Classic with a 7.5 western lightweight (I think its made of tin foil). We did install timbren stops. The trans LOVES it when you are shifting back and forth without pausing for a moment or two.
    The whole truck is a POS, but a relative is the sales manager for the local Government Motors so price was right for a daily driver.
    Oh, and it is leased.

8. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

No it's not a heavy duty machine but it would go on the same duty shift as Jeeps would, 5 to 15 minute plows and onto the next one. The heavy multi hour shifts go to the diesel plows

9. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i have 3 HD 3/4 ton silverados, with the boss 8.6 v-blade, had to put tiberons on it and without a pallet of salt in the back, i wouldn't have much traction because of the weight on the front, i wouldn't do it on a half ton, just looking for trouble down the road, lot of stress on the front wheel bearings too