1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow on 2001 2500hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jeff52984, Sep 25, 2009.

1. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

Wondering if this is true. A guy told me that if I put a plow on my chevy then im going to need the torsion bars cranked up. Just wondering if any of you had to do this? thanks

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Yes and its not that big of a deal.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Yup most of us do, and most plow installers do. You don't always "have" to, but its a good idea.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You should crank your T-bars and if your source was your dealer it shows his experience and says something about his knowlege. Ask about timbrens also.

5. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

well yes it was a dealer in ohio I was going to buy a plow threw but ended up getting a great deal on a used boss so now I get to try and hook it up myself wish me luck with no wiring diagram. Also how many turns do you usually do on the torsion bar? And might be a dumb question but how will I know if I should do it, will it be sitting really low in front? thanks

6. chevy5150

chevy5150 Junior Member

What kind of boss plow did you get? If the truck looks to low then it most likely is. If you got a light duty straight blade you could just crank up the torsion bars. As far as the amount of turns it should just be equal on both sides. If you got anything heavier. You may need timbrens or leveling kit.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'll try to post a picture or a link to the proper setting according to chevy. Everybody take's it a (few) turns or two beyond that. If you use the search feature there is TONS of reading on Tbars and their setting

If you use the Boss link at the top of teh page you can find the instructions to download.

8. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

ok great. Plow I have is a 8' straight heavy duty so think I will look into a leveling kit. thanks

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No need for a leveling "kit". Just follow the recommendations that you've gotten here as well as find here after doing a search on torsion bars or Timbrens. As it's been covered no less than a thousand times.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Conservative

11. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

ok thanks alot sorry if I brought up something that has been discussed many times just frustrated with all of this plow crap already thought it would be easier thanks all

12. bsuds

bsuds Senior Member

Do not be afraid to install the plow yourself. You don't need any special tools. Just maybe a jack and an extra hand every now and then. You could easily do it in a day or weekend. I put mine together and I never even installed a car stereo. There is tons of info in the boss plow area and people who can guide you through. The wiring really is'nt that bad. You can download the schematics for it are on the Boss website

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No apologies necessary, just pointing you towards the answers:waving:

14. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Crank them 3 or 4 turns and in the spring just put them back, Jack up the front 1st and get the weight off the front end. takes 5 min...

15. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Cranking the t-bars is not necessary !!!!!!!! Neither are the Timbrens.
    Unless you really gotta have them! Leveling kits are a waste!
    Sure its good to give them a few turns for a extra inch or two of front end height.

To adjust t-bars: Turn Clockwise to raise.....Counterclockwise to lower.
    Always jack up the front of truck before adjusting or you may strip out the
    adjusting bolt!

16. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

thanks for all the info again. Just left commercial lawnmower AGAIN had to order the headlight adapters another $82 but the install guy said he always turns up the torsion bars and he said 8 full turns seeing as how I have a 8' straight but said you ideally want 14 1/2in from ground to center mounting hole on plow mount starting to learn alot I can say that much. Going to keep trying the install on my truck all by myself today so wish me luck

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I would not go eight full turns unless your T bars are set REALLY soft. The GM tech bulletin is attached

Note the instructions say 15.1/2 inches to hole center . Remember this is a loaded height with ballast in place. The mount allows for adjustment you do not have to do it wit the T-bars.

http://service.bossplow.com/Documents/msc04380.pdf

Attached Files:

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

$82 for a set of light adapter yikes. There's some markup...

T-bars shouldn't need 8 turns with an 8' super duty, it's not that heavy of a plow. 3-4 full turns should be plenty. Make sure you make the T-bars adjustment BEFORE you install the mount. Doing so afterwards and you'll just have to re adjust the mount again.

Don't forget the correct ballast and also the possibility of the Timbren's too if you feel they're needed once you get a feel for the truck with the plow on.

19. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

I thought 82 was alittle much but I didnt put a deposit for them to order so im going to look around and see what I can find or call another place monday. As for the torsion bars I will start off with 4 turns then and go from there thanks

20. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

well finished it all up today wiring is all done except the headlights. Mounted plow and at first didnt work ended up having to clean the connections on pump and worked like a champ. Anything you guys could tell me to store on the shelf that is common on going bad? thanks to all of you for your help the wiring wasnt bad at all