1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow on 1/2 ton, Warranty coverage...Yes!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaySpring Services, Feb 16, 2006.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

For everyone that makes a big deal out of "how you cant plow with a 1/2 ton truck and it will void the warranty" Well I had a power steering leak on my 04 Ram 1500 (wasn't related to plowing). Brought it in, they replaced the Rack. They didn't even have a problem that I had a plow on the truck. If you want to plow wiht your 1/2 ton because you dont have anything else to use, dont be afraid to. People will say "oh no you can't plow with that truck!" I do plan on trading up to a 3500 because I getting into large lots next year, but I still would be using my 1500 if it wasnt for that!
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Yes, in most cases the dealer will not report the snow plow and honer the warranty.
    If the dealer wanted to they could say, hay! you plow with this truck you have voided the warranty we will not cover your truck any more. Why don't they report it to Dodge? Because the dealer does not want loose the customer.

Read your warranty.... .
  3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

the dodge dealer told me that the plow has to be the cause of the problem
  4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The plow VOIDS the warranty sates:Chrysler's warranty, not the dealer. It does not matter what the problem is if the warranty is VOID from mounting a plow on your truck.
    How would you determine that? my tranny could have gone out from pulling a trailer or any thing ealse instead of plowing....
    O.K I'll share what happened to me.

01 Dodge, 2500 with hd group, plow prep ,trailer prep, camper prep etc etc all the goodies. It is my wifes truck and has only seen 1 1/2 years of use as a plow truck.
    so, the transfer case takes a dump. I have an warranty and an extended service contract with a disappearing deductible so every thing is good?
    When I go to pick it up I'm handed a bill for $200!! WTF!!!! I say...
    So I call up the people who warranty this and they say they will pay for
    10hr of work & parts. The dealer is charging for 12hr of work and mic shop supplies.
    Why should I have to pay because your mechanic can't do the work in 10 hr?
    The replay from the service manager was. " you have a plow on your truck. You should probably think about what battles you want to fight"
    So I cut him a cheek and said thanks....
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Laws vary from state to state. In Illinois they cannot void your entire warranty. They must be able to prove that the problem was caused by the snowplow, misuse, etc.
  6. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

how well do the 2500s handel a plow and a hopper spreader, thats what i was looking into or is it worth it to bump up to the 3500?
  7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

No, They will make you prove it was not caused by the plowing.
    So ,It can void the power train and suspension, not much left to warranty.
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You bring your truck in with a dead transmission.
    The dealer looks at your truck and sees the plow frame. He mentions it to the service Manager. He says we will not cover it because you plow with it.
    You say :realmad: no way prove it. so, they will send an adjuster out to look at your truck. He will see the plow frame and say, Hey! you plow with this truck is proof enough, you say:realmad: I'll sue you. He responds get this truck out of here, were done good -day...
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A lot depends on the dealer. He (the dealer) not only doesn't want to lose your business, he wants paid by the factory for doing the work. Read the motor mags. Same car, same problem, 2 different owner attitudes, all based on how the dealer handled the problem. If your dealer feels he can make money at the warranty rate repairing your vehicle and not have problems with the factory, he will even if you have a elephant strapped to the hood.
  10. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I would have paid him, told him he was an arse hole. An never buy a vehical from them again.
  11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Thats exactely what is happining, I agree..
  12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I never plowed with '99 ram 1500 and its power steering box blew.
    I plow with my '04 ram 2500 and I've blown 2 boxes. Well the second was just the seals because the first replacement wasn't put in right IMO.

It really cracks me up because anytime something breaks its always because of some thing we do, I'm sorry what the f is a truck for if not to be worked. Don't advertise the trucks being worked hard if you aren't willing to back it up.:salute:
  13. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

if the 1 ton isn't that much more go for it, but just remember all of your service items will be more expensive. I have had no complaints with my 2500.

JRKRACE Senior Member

Precisely why I went with a HD2500 gasser. No plow prep on the diesel. Yes, I would have liked the diesel, but nothing beats dropping a truck with plow prep off for warranty. FIX IT AND CALL ME WHEN IT'S DONE!!!:D
  15. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I agree completely! I worked at a Ford dealership for years and I've seen things get covered and some things not covered. I think its B.S. when a friend of the service mng. gets something covered (in Fords case, P504) when the truck was 10k or even 20k out of warranty! Trucks anymore are a cowboy's Cadillac. If your gonna buy a truck then they should make a damn truck that can do and handle everything you say it's good for.