1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow on 1/2 Ton w/ IFS?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by k1768, Dec 7, 2003.

1. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I have an 03 Dodge 1500, looking to put a plow on it. I've noticed many manufacturers have "Personal Use" plows now that are lighter and easier on the trucks. Anyone have any expierience with these plows? Comments, suggestions, etc.... Would be used for maybe 2-5 small to medium sized driveways.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Short Box, 4x4, 4.7L, 5spd Auto.
  2. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

Your warranty will be void if you put a plow on. If you don't mind that, and you are going to use it to make money, get a real plow, a snow-way would be nice and light. And the downpressure that it has would be nice for backdragging residentials.
  3. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I've heard the warranty would be voided. I'm not looking for it to make money, just save time and money (waiting for and paying someone else). My other idea was a rear mount, but then I saw all of the new plows the major players are making. I'm not talking about the $1000 oversized shovel strapped to the bumper. More along the lines of a Fisher LD Series (around 500#), or Westerns Suburbanite Series (around 250#).

Western: http://www.westernplows.com/whatsnew.asp#18

Fisher: http://www.fisherplows.com/models.asp?model=ld

Meyer: http://www.meyerproducts.com/products/plows2.asp?UseTypeID=1

Like I said, I figure these would be less likely to cause excess wear and tear.
  4. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

If it is just for personal use, I can't see why the suburbanite or LD Fisher would not do the job. I thought you were talking about one of those plastic plows that they put on minivans:eek: I don't have any exprerience with either, but if you don't abuse it, I'm sure it will do the job.
  5. truck1500

truck1500 Member

your warranty could be void but if you have the dealer put a snowplow prep package on it the warranty i think wouldent be void thats what they do with chevy. i would go with the blizzard 760LD its 7 1/2' this is what i have on my 93 F-150 and it really works great on it it only weight 550lbs
  6. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

7. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for suggestions all.
    I've found manufacturers that sell for my truck, going to make some calls today to see if a dealer will install, also going to call Dodge dealer and see what they say. If they say they will void front suspension only but still cover drivetrain I can probably live with that. If they void everything then I'll prob go with a rear mount plow. Any suggestions on one of them?

Truck only has 12000 miles on it and I went for the extended to 100k; hate to lose out on the money I spent for that.
  8. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

Just a word of caution.... My dealer told me of a guy that "had to have a Western Suburbanite". After a long talk trying to convince him not to, they went ahead and mounted one up for him. After one small push, and I do mean small, he was back at the dealer screaming :realmad: about the "junk" they had sold him. A bad plow from the factory? Maybe, but what kind of a plow uses glorified rubberbands for trip springs? :eek:

Western makes a great product. Only plows I've ever used and have never been "left out in the cold".... But I gotta ask....

Just my 2 cents......

9. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Words of wisdom :D The Warranty is only VOID if:::: the breakage / damage is caused directly by the item installed ( non-approved ). Just because it is on there does not void any warranty.

my 2 cents
  10. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the input.
    I realized just adding a plow would not void entire warranty by default, but I could easily see Dealer saying xyz broke because of the plow. I read the serv contract and it clearly stated unless the vehicle had the factory plow prep package, installing a plow would void (or not cover damage, or something, forget exact wording). Based on that and the desire to not spend $3000-5000 on something with "glorified rubberbands" as Dan put it on it I decided to go with a Snowman pull plow. From what I've read searching past posts it seems like a good product and will handle what I need it for and then some.
    Hope to have it in about a week or so. Hopefully no big snow until I get it and hook it up.
  11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

get a meyers or a western there more for giving on the truck
  12. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

The only forgiving factor to a truck is the operator... not the hardware, especially a plow! If the operator is diligent and conscious about safte and proper use of the plow/truck combo, problems can be minimized.
  13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Well Rodger Dodger a fisher going along bump or a whatever bring more shock to the truck when the bottom comes back a full trip just flops over and there equiping them with shock absorbers i have seen the damage of just hitting a bump in road
  14. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Get a boss 7 1/2ft standard poly or steel. Both are said to be able to be put on your truck according to the boss plow site.
  15. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

The fished LD will not do you wrong. I bought one 4 years ago off a half ton dodge and put it on a 3/4 ton Chevy. It's has been put through every storm since, we plow commercialy and my guys are not light on equipment. I did however put a steel deflector on it. It's rusted and beat up but it still works, if we couldn't kill it
    it'll do you just fine.