1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Oil

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by gamartin, Feb 8, 2007.

1. gamartin

gamartin Junior Member
    from Western

I've got a 1998 Chevy C3500 dually dump with a central hydraulic system, a 8' dump body and a 9' Western ProPlow on it. My problem is the central hydraulic system that runs the dump also runs the plow and it is very slow acting in the cold weather.

Originally it had ATF in the reservoir, and we switched to NAPA hydraulic oil, but it is still slow. Any ideas on what to run thru this system to give quicker response? The big issue is it holds 13-14 gallaons of fluid.

2. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I think the first thing you would need to so is get a pressure gauge on it first. Northern Tools has them cheap.

Is the dump and plow both acting slow?
  3. gamartin

gamartin Junior Member
    from Western

No, the dump bed works perfectly-with 4,000 lbs in the back it lifts just fine, but the plow is very slow, both up and down and left to right.

When we first run the pump, it acts as though it is cavitating, but after some use it gets quicker. I think the fluid is still to heavy at startup.

Do they make heaters for the reservoir?

It's a great truck, but it is way too slow to work with at present.
  4. kkls2006

kkls2006 Member

I had the same truck with the same system, mine was slow to, I never had a chance to get it figured out seeing how it went up into flames while my wife was plowing in 2003. I'm not sure but I think it was the clutch system on the pump.

I still have the hydraulic sander if your interested??? Almost perfect condition, only used 2 seasons, always washed out.
  5. gamartin

gamartin Junior Member
    from Western

Yep, I've got the hydraulic spreader on the back also.

One thing we did yesterday, was to aim a salamander heater at the hydraulic tank for 5-10 minutes. The rest of the day, the plow ran fast and fine. But coming in this morning, the temps got to it again, but after heating the oil slightly it runs fine.

I am now looking for a tank heater to install. Anyone ever run into this?
  6. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Buy yourself a magnetic oil pan heater at NAPA or another parts store. Just plug it in just like a bolck heater, unplug it when you go out.
  7. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i have a old dodge with a hydraulic pump under the hood that was slow when cold. i switched the fluid out from regular hydro oil to Northmans extreme fluid made for the winter. dont have any problems with it being cold now. You might cleck for a blockage in the line too.
  8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

if the plow function ok when it's warm ,yes you can get tank heaters your local truck equipment shop can get them for you,depending on how you can install you have to have an extra port in the tank i used to install them years ago but cannot remember the name of the product