1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow oil question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by triplepower, Nov 27, 2005.

1. triplepower

triplepower Junior Member

I have a cable actuated western plow, and I just replaced the o-ring on the bottom of the pump. Now I have to refill it, Can I use regular hydlaulic fluid or do I have to go with western oil???????? And where the cables mount to the pump what kind of grease do I use under the covers???? :) :) :)

2. 78W200

78W200 Member

You should use what you had it before, unless you get all the fluid out of the hoses and angle cylinders. Alot of guys , including myself, use ATF in the old pumps. I think hydraulic fluid is to heavy for those. Western says to use either ATF or Western High Performance fluid.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If you go with hyd fluid, remember it comes in different weights too, I use a AW23 all weather hyd fluid, it is thiner than ATF at low temps. Or just use what you did before.