1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow of Chevy

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Sharpm, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Sharpm

Sharpm Junior Member

Hi,:waving:
    I have been looking into putting a Boss plow on my 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton and was wondering which plow would be good for that truck. Should i go with the Standerd duty steel or the Super Duty steel. I would be doing my driveway and our farm not much plowing but it could be tough at times. Are they easy to put on and take off? Also if any one had any pictuce of that plow on about the same year of truck i would like to see what a plow would look like on that truck and also a picture of the truck when the plow is off if possibly. Thank you :salute:

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

HI, and you are choosing a very good plow to go with. Personally it all depends on how much plowing your farm requires, and how big your driveway is. If it is a lot I would go with the super duty plow. But if not I would go with the standard duty plow. Take a look at boss's website at www.bossplows.com. On there they will tell you all the info you need to know about that plow and they also have videos on how easily they go on and off the truck thanks to the smarthitch. I would deffinately get that on your plow and also the smartlocks. There web site will also have some pics of trucks demoing plows. I do believe they have a truck around that year but a regualr 2500. Not the hd model demoing a straight blade plow?. I Have a 8'2'' ploy vee blade on my 02 2500hd silverado and I love it. I do light commercial work so I will never go back to a straight blade. I used one for 5 years and never had a problem with it. You will be very pleased with your purchase of that plow. Also is this plow new or used, and get a set of timberns for the front of your truck. Also all boss snowplows are backed by a 2 year parts and labor warrenty. If you are interested in more like I said go to boss's web site or to your local dealer and they will give you some lit. you can read and also answer any other questions you might have. I hope this helps you out. Have fun plowing.

Ryan

3. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

For non-commercial on a 1500 I would stick with the Sport Duty. Being that it is 200 pounds lighter is huge on a 1/2 ton.

It will probably rust through before you see any advantage of the heavier plow.

4. jbwerling

jbwerling Junior Member

I have a 7.5 standard duty on my 03 z71 1/2 ton. Ive had my plow 4 years now. I do a little commercial plowing. Never had a single problem with it yet. (knock on wood!) 3 yrs on a Ford and 1 yr on the chevy. It is just right for the chevy. I have a set of timbrens in the front, and a about 200 lbs in the bed for counterbalance. I also have pro wings on my plow which gives me an extra foot each way. The truck carries it very well. When I first got the plow, I noticed that it triped quite a bit. I just fabricated and extra bracket and mounted a forth spring. Hardly ever trips now. I think the only difference between the standard and super are some bracing on the back of the blade, an extra trip spring, and some weight. In my opinion, save a little money and go with the standard duty.;)

5. Sharpm

Sharpm Junior Member

Thanks for your help

Hi,
    Thank you guys for your help it is nice to hear form you guys. Also, jbwerling did they have to cut up your front plastic when they went in with the mount? If you have any pictures of the front of your truck so i could see what it would look like that would be a great help. If you can't that is alright. Thank you guys!!!!:salute:

6. jbwerling

jbwerling Junior Member

I will try to get a pic shortly. My truck is the different body style, if it matters. Had to cut into my plastic pretty good. Looks good though. I have a buddy with your body style and he only had to cut to slits for the top of the mount. You may have the same scenerio.

7. jbwerling

jbwerling Junior Member

Here it is. Plastic is cut just enough that the plow misses it. I do have to make sure plow height is perfect with truck or it will catch on top plastic when i pull up to it or back out. Thats the only bad part. Sorry about the snow, haven't had chance to thaw it yet.:eek:

trk.JPG

8. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Nice plate! All john deere on this farm too! Anyhow, I personally would go with the heavier duty of the two. If you are using it on the farm the extra weight won't matter, you won't be driving all over town with it on. That way you have the extra strength plow. If you were going to be doing alot of driving with the plow on then I would maybe lean towards the lighter plow. You will like the lights and quick hook up of that plow. I can't say enough how easy it is to hook up. I have zero complaints of my plow and mine is used alot!

9. Sharpm

Sharpm Junior Member

Thanks

Hi,:salute:
    Thank you so much jbwerling for those picture it gives me a very good look at what the undercarriage will look like thank you.:waving:

10. sierra02

sierra02 Junior Member

I have the 7'6 V-plow on a 2002 1/2 ton GMC. I haven't had really any problems except I had replaced one wheel bearing and U-joints on the front drive-shaft. The only thing i did was replace to heavier torsion bars when the truck was new and now I have almost 100,000 miles on it. I also have about 300 pounds of counterweight in the back. I also just took the wind deflector off under the bumper for the plow undercarriage.

11. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

With the truck you have, a standard duty plow will be more than enough. Thats what I have with wings, and it still looks and performs like new. The Smarthitch 2 is amazing. I have never used any piece of equipment that is so easy and user friendly in my life. Cant say enough about my Boss! :salute: If you go with a V-plow, the 8'2 Steel-V is also great, you might consider the SmartLock Cylinders however. Good Luck!:drinkup: