1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow not working, what to check?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MJLsLawnCareNmo, Apr 18, 2009.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmo

MJLsLawnCareNmo Senior Member

On a Boss 8'2" V RT3. I went to take the plow off the truck to put away for the year since the snow should be over (Mid-April now). The plow lowered, but would not extend either wing or raise off the ground again. The controller was lit up and according to the controller would go into float mode. The lights would also work. I tried using the toggle switch for the smart hitch and nothing would happen. The motor would not run with either the smart hitch switch or any of the controller functions. I only heard a click from under the hood when I tried to raise the plow or extend the wings.

I tape both plugs that connect the plow to the truck with electrical tap to keep water out and do not take the plow off the truck until winter is over. Just to try something I disconnected and connected both plugs several times but it didnt help. I checked the in-line fuse in the wiring harness which was ok. The plow eventually did work like normal again while had a test light touching the one of the big terminals on the solenoid and pressing the up button on the controller.

What was malfunctioning or what should I check so I don't have this problem next winter? Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Poor connection somewhere in the plow power cables. Could be anywhere between the pump motor all the way to the battery (including the underhood solenoid) so be sure to go over each and every one. If they all look 100% and the solenoid checks out then it's likely the cable connection between the truck and plow. The factory quick connector is a very very common problem for the lack of power to the pump motor. Cut it off and replace it with an Anderson quick connector. Search here with the term "Anderson" .You'll find plenty of reading on them.