1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow not working-sometimes!!!!!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by peterk800xc, Dec 23, 2012.

1. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

I am having a hard to diagnose problem with my 7.5 straight blade.I got the plow out of the garage and put it on the truck.Hooked everything up and the plow will not do anything.The joystick lights up so theres power to it.Ok so I think maybe the controller is bad after 5 years so I put on my brand new handheld controller and the plow works.Ok after sitting all night, I go to move the plow and nothing again.Headlites switch back and forth from truck to plow, no problem.I check the white plug that connects the controller to the harness and all pins are clean and plug fits tightly together.The solenoid is the original one that has been on 3 different trucks so maybe this could be the problem?? Will be looking for one tommorow. Also one last thing, when the controller light is ON and I move the truck back or forth ( with plow directly on the pavement,) the controller will sometimes activate the plow.I have been on here all night practically and after searching thru 125 pages of problems of different sorts, could find no posts on anything like my problem.Hoping to hear from B&B and if he wasn't so far from me would drive down to see him!! Any help will be greatly appreciated before this next storm arrives.:mechanic::mechanic:

2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

http://www.bossplow.com/content/servicecenter/documents/rt3_straight_blade_troubleshooting_guide.pdf
    check your truckside connections , plugs . make sure they're clean and tightly connected . pins should be coated with dielectric grease . Maintain .

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Put a testlight on the wire that triggers solenoid.Try plow.Is power getting to the swich leg of solenoid?(small wire)Have someone tap solenoid to see if its hanging up while operating controller.Check all grounds

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

We got Pete all fixed up via PM, or at least we believe so. We'll find out for sure on the next storm. :D

5. peterk800xc

Thanks again to all!!

Yes Thank you all for the help.Hope everyone has a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.Knock on wood that the plow keeps working.B & B guided me thru some things and it seems to be working good.This next storm ( if we even have one here!) will tell.:salute:

6. jfd774

jfd774 Junior Member

I am having the same problem please share the fix! Solenoid clicking but no plow movement!

7. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Put a test light on the plow side pos wire off of solenoid and have someone hit controller.Does it light up-no? replace solenoid. Try that first

8. jfd774

jfd774 Junior Member

Ok I will try that. Any recommendations on where to purchase a new solenoid? Hopefully it's not a boss only solenoid!

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Loose power cable connections.

10. peterk800xc

Pm!

I just sent you a PM saying what B&B told me to do. Seemed to be working ok.As for the solenoid I just bought a new one too.It was $29 at the dealer.Went to 3 Auto Parts store and none they had even resembled the BOSS one.My old solenoid is 7 years old so thought I would replace it just for good insurance and B & B's suggestion. Good luck.Let us know what you found out.Thumbs Up

11. jfd774

jfd774 Junior Member

What i found: replaced solenoid and plow continued to do the same thing. Used volt meter and found that from the truck to the plow only had 6 volts. The truck has 2 batteries one was bad replaced battery and all is fine! Thanks for the help!

12. peterk800xc

B&b- you da man! Again!

Thanks to all for the help.Especially to B & B for his list of check this and that. I plows for7 straight hours and the Ol BOSS never missed a beat.Worked really well. This sure is a great place to seek help.Thanks again.Until next time!ussmileyflagussmileyflag

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad it's reliable once again Pete and you're welcome. :waving: