1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Not Moving

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ryanp37, Dec 28, 2008.

1. ryanp37

ryanp37 Junior Member

Please bear in mind that I am a total novice who just plows his own driveway and have limited knowledge of plow lingo. I plowed the other day and got stuck going up my long angled driveway. My plow was down at the time and I had a small mound of snow in front of me that complicated my getting up the rest of the way. Foolishly I rammed through it and discovered that I could no longer move my plow all of a sudden. Now I cannot move my plow at all. The motor does not run when I move the control stick but I do hear some clicking under the hood. I suspect that this is somehow related to the ramming punishment I subjected the plow to as I was trying to get out of my driveway. I checked the fluid and it is full. One thing I did notice is that on my right side plow piston there is a small black seal that is partially exposed. Any help you could provide would be really appreciated. Also is there a way that i can manually jack up the plow so i can take it somewhere to be repaired?

Thanks in Advance,
    Paul

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Soundss like a bad solonoid, Jump the big posts and see if the pump runs. What kind of plow is it?

3. ryanp37

ryanp37 Junior Member

It is a Fisher MM. Could you please clarify what jump the posts means? Thanks.

4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

On the solonoid, where the power from the battery goes to, there should be 2 big posts. 1 for the battery side, one for the plow side. Jump them and see if the pump turns on. If it does, then you know you got a bad solonoid.

5. ryanp37

ryanp37 Junior Member

Sorry for the stupid question, but is there a way to manually raise the plow so that I can drive the truck?

6. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

if it has a chain, than jack it up than move the chain so it holds it .

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

aa little more help, if you start at the plow pump.... were you plug the big electrical wires in , there are 2 plugs normally.. trace the plug that has 2 large wires back towards the truck... one of the wires will lead back to the solinoid, then do as described above. a screwdriver works fine for a quick jump. you can even have a friend hold your plow control in the raise poistion , and jump it , to raise the plow, if thats your problem

8. stevesmowing

stevesmowing Member

check the plow to truck connections, then check them again, check the solenoid in your truck too.

9. itssnowtime

itssnowtime Member

The best way to get your plow up is to run it up onto a snow bank and then move the chains up to hold it in the up position, that should be enough to get you moving until you can get it fixed. If it's not he solonoid then it may be the brushs in the motor. i had this happen to me a few weeks ago and had to have the motor taken out and the brushs replaced, worked fine after that. Sounds like the same problem, red power light is on on the controller and all you get is a clicking noise? make sure all your connections are tight.

10. ryanp37

ryanp37 Junior Member

Guys thanks for all the reponses. It turned out to be both a bad solenoid as well as corroded connections on the motor. All you input was really helpful. Happy New Year.