1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow not moving

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by rdaily104, Feb 2, 2008.

1. rdaily104

rdaily104 Member
    from Indiana

Need some help.... I hit something in a parking lot on the right side of plow. Now it will not move at all. The motor engages because I can hear it. But, no movement. I noticed hydralic fluid coming out but can not see where. The lines seem fine. I thought maybe the fluid was when I hit the relief valve kicked out some fluid. Any help would be appreciated.......

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

no go

what kind of plow unimount ,ultramount ,were is the oil leaking from ?cylinder,hose,? if not any thing major external and oil level is up ,might have blown the cross over check valves .:confused:

3. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

im thinking an air lock

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A Unimount shouldn't have fluid leaking out no matter what you did with it. Need to get it cleaned up and see where it's leaking from. May not be moving because it's out of fluid so be sure to fill it up before diagnosing the leak.

5. rdaily104

rdaily104 Member
    from Indiana

I have not had time to clean it up yet. But, a quick look didn't show it coming from a hose or the fittings. When I hit and pushed the ram could that have caused all the fluid to leak and cause an air block. I am hoping it is not serious. I have never hit the plow like this. Oh, it is an older unimount.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Like I mentioned, a Uni shouldn't have pushed fluid out of the pump no matter what, but before you go further with the diagnosis you need to determine where the fluid came from. Could have blew an O-ring out from under a valve. Check the fluid level and top it off if necessary and then see if it will function first. If not, then we'll dig deeper into it. :)

7. rdaily104

rdaily104 Member
    from Indiana

Thanks, I will give a try today and report back tonight or tomorrow.....

8. harley9202

harley9202 Junior Member

I just did the same thing last night. I rammed a sidewalk pretty hard. After that, the plow is still moving, but slowly. It whines really loud and seems like it is really struggling to move back and forth. Possible check valve? No leaks visible. I thought I was low on fluid, so I checked and topped off, but that wasn't it.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does it struggle to lift AND angle? If so then you could have a bent/damaged S2 valve.

If it lifts ok but struggles to angle, it may be the S2 or the poppet check valve thats bent or damaged.

You can pull the S2 out and push in on the end of it with a screw driver to see if it moves smoothly. If the internal spool is bent you should be able to feel it when you stroke the spool in and out. If it doesn't move smoothly, replace it. Same with the poppet check.

10. harley9202

harley9202 Junior Member

thanks for the response. I brought it in yesterday. I guess hitting the sidewalk didn't have anything to do with my problem. It was simply a dirty filter. Coincidence... or maybe hitting the sidewalk knocked some gunk loose, which blocked the filter. Fluid change and new filter and I'm back up and running.

Expecting up to a foot tonight...let it snow.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So it wasn't damage...but neglect? Either one will still get ya. :)

Glad to hear it's fixed.