1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow not moving just clicking... please help =)

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jamiek913, Nov 23, 2010.

1. jamiek913

jamiek913 Junior Member

I tried hooking up my plow the other day for the first time this year and nothing happens the solenod on the truck just clicks. All the lights and everything works. The motor does not turn or make any noises. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Any response is a good one, thanks.

2. steve_robert

steve_robert Junior Member

first off pop your hood and check with a test light that when the selenoid clicks power is going through it. Than if that is working check that power is making it to the end of the truck side cable. If that is working plug the plow in and see if power is making it to the motor. Do the same with the grounds too make sure they are good. For grounds just take a booster cable from the plow to the negative battery terminal. You will find your problem somewhere there. If all the above fails than chances are it is your motor thats done but more than likely it is time for a new selenoid

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Your power connection is failing. It happened to me and I ended up swapping out my OEM connectors for a set of Anderson connectors. Never had an issue after that.

Jerre in PA sells everything you need as a set (connectors and wire).

http://www.jerres.com/

4. jamiek913

jamiek913 Junior Member

test light? I'm sorry but what do you mean by that

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Just take it to your dealer. :waving:

6. jamiek913

jamiek913 Junior Member

i actually just called them but i figured i'd post cause every other experiance i've had on other forums has been nothing but good... no one has ever told me to go to a dealership

7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I don't want to discourage you from trying to fix it yourself but if you don't even know what a test light is that tells me you're probably not up to the task of diagnosing the issue.

I still believe your problem is with your power connection though.

Good luck

8. steve_robert

steve_robert Junior Member

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Take a large screw driver and jump the terminals on the solenoid. If the plow moves, then your solenoid is bad.

10. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

If your solenoid is fine, then clean your connections and take a small screwdriver and expand the metal connections on the power cables just a hair. I had the exact same problem and after I did this I was fine.

11. elecblu

elecblu Member

Had a similar problem with my smart hitch and it ended up being a bad toggle switch on the plow.

12. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

I didn't know what a test light was before i installed my plow and thank god i didnt have them install it. The service tech's at my dealer are idiots who do low class minimum work which is shotty but they knew what a test light is.....

I guess if you know what a test light is ur qualified to fix your own problem.

WOW, heaven forbid someone ask a ?......

13. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

So you quote this post of mine but not the 1st one where I gave the guy an honest opinion of his problem as well as a link to a guy who sells the parts he may need? Interesting.

I think you either wrote what you did to brag about the fact you put your own plow on or you're trying to be the forum hero. Either way, keep up the great work. You're a real asset to the forum :rolleyes:

14. schockservices

schockservices Junior Member
    from ND

IMO Camden hit it right on i have similar issues with my juice leads should change them out. Camden what do the anderson connectors look like and where did you find them i would like to adapt something so when i put my plow away and mount my winch it would hook up like the plow and adapt jumper cables the same way.

15. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

16. schockservices

schockservices Junior Member
    from ND

thanks man already got 20 hours in plowing and blizzardin out now of to get rest then back at her Have a good thanksgiving

17. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

Here we go, another care bear on plowsite.... No bragging, just hate when people give chit about asking a question... BTW, are you part of the PS judge's panel????

18. jamiek913

jamiek913 Junior Member

As suggested i took it to a dealer and i went though many of the processes that everyone said on here, and what we concluded was when we attached jumper cables directly to the motor and we finally got it to turn but it was turning very weakly. They said to replace the motor because the brushes have worn down too much. I picked one up for $225 and I am installing it tomorrow.

Just curious does this diagnosis sound good? Also any advice about changing the motor? they told me not to hold it upside down cause all the brushes will fall out but it all seems very simple.