1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow not dropping as far as it should?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Mustangx5, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Mustangx5

Mustangx5 Junior Member
    from Iowa

I've intalled a used 8' pro poly ultramount on my '99 F250SD and used it for the first time today, blade drops fast and all the way to the ground, however when I plow any areas where the front tires are going a little uphill the blade is leaving the ground and not cleaning. This is mostly a problem when doing drives that have an sloped approach then level off. There is still some slack in the chains when the blade is down, I can stand on the blade and it will lower a little further but still not touching the ground. Any ideas?

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like the plow height is off?? the height from the ground to the receiver should be between 9 1/2 to 10 1/2" off the ground..

3. twinman326

sounds like the plow height is off?? the height from the ground to the receiver should be between 9 1/2 to 10 1/2" off the ground..also check to see if there anything binding

4. Mustangx5

Mustangx5 Junior Member
    from Iowa

My truck sits kinda low in the front with the blade on but I will still check that out, thanks.

5. twinman326

like I said, check to see if something is binding. also give the chain a little more slack...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  6. fabcraftinc

fabcraftinc Member

Make sure there is at least 2-3 inches of slack in the chain with the lift cylinder fully retracted. Also, make sure you are properly configured.

7. The Lone Plower

The Lone Plower Member

I had this happen to me a couple times I used my new plow. I wasn't holding the button down long enough to get it in to float mode. :blush2:

8. Mustangx5

Mustangx5 Junior Member
    from Iowa

That would be an easy fix if that's the problem, I'm pretty sure I saw the float light on but I'll try it again and see.