1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow not doing anything

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dave00diesel, Jan 9, 2010.

1. dave00diesel

dave00diesel Junior Member
    from indiana

I have a ultramount plow and went to hook it up today and its not raising or lowering. Any suggestions on what to try? Its the relay style on a 2000 F250 if that matters.

2. dave00diesel

from indiana

Also not goin left or right. all i can hear is the solenoid making noise. tried changing it out but still nothing.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Motor not running? Have you tried jumping right to the motor with power and ground to see what it does?

4. dave00diesel

from indiana

the motor isn't running and if i use a meter it has power at motor when button is pressed on the controller but its not making any noise. Could the motor be bad? As long as i'm getting power at the motor i shouldnt have to jump to the motor right?

5. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Take a booster cable right to the motor just to make sure.....Sounds like the motor is bad

6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Possibility you might have a bad motor.You said you "try" to changing out the solenoid??

7. dave00diesel

from indiana

yes i did change the solenoid b/c i had a spare new one laying around. I jumped to the motor and still nothing so is it a safe assumption to make that the motor is shot?

8. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

if it the same solenoid, did you jump out the solenoid with a screw driver across the two batter terminals to see if the pump starts?

Did you check the grounds, or check the battery power wire?

If you check all wires, power and grounds, and you jump across the solenoid, then you might need a motor.. I would check the above mention first to be safe !!!

9. dave00diesel

from indiana

i tried jumping the solenoid but i shouldn't have to since i have power to the motor once i press a button on the controler right? I get power to the motor and to each of the 3 coils depending on which direction i press on the controller. the first thing i did was cleaned all connections then made sure power was at the motor which it was.

10. mikegp1

mikegp1 Junior Member

Its safe to say that your motor is done.

11. dave00diesel

from indiana

ok thanks for all the help. I was thinking it was the problem but i just wanted to get a few opinions before i went to get one.

12. billet-boy

billet-boy Member

I have an older Western I have had to give it a love tap on the motor casing not real hard.Just a thought