1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow not being able to lift as high

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by viper881, Jan 5, 2010.

1. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

My 810 blizzard is slowly not being able to lift as high as it use to be. Any ideas why? The pump works fine.

2. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

low on fluid?

3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Mine lifts all the way, but it's not enough. I don't understand it, I've got my torsion bars cranked up 5 turns, taller than stock tires and it doesn't nosedive when the plows lifted, but it still doesn't lift it high enough to clear anything. I've never measured it (maybe I should) but I'd estimate I've only got 5 or 6 inches under it when it's fully raised. Stinks because if I need to back drag away from a garage door a lot of times I'll end up with a bunch of snow there that I can't get the blade up and over to pull it away.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Check your draw latches and pins, they bend, break, etc not allowing full lift.

5. mowerboy430

mowerboy430 Junior Member
    from 43344

I had to replace the pins and bushings on my lift arm. It fixed mine

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

There is also a couple good mods to allow for higher lift.

7. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Thanks everyone. It ended up being the pin/bolt that is bent just from wearing. Looks like a hard fix with it being contained in the steel shell. Any body run into this replacement before and have any dos and donts before i start the repair?

8. Detroitdan

Yep, you're right, I can see some bendage down in the draw latch mechanism. No idea how I'm going to get at it to fix it. My pins and pin bushings are new though, boy it's nice being able to actually hook up and unhook the plow without a hammer.

9. Mark Oomkes

I have never done it, but it really isn't that difficult. My mechanic has numerous times, though.

Drop the blade, turn it on it's face, and you have open access to it. Just a little time and muscle.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Thank you for those very informative posts Mark Oomkes.

Hee hee hee

11. Mark Oomkes

Just the facts, sir, just the facts.

12. Detroitdan

I hate saying "my mechanic", like I don't fix my own stuff. I generally fix most of my own stuff, but defer to him for stuff that is just to hard for me to do myself at home on my driveway. I do have a garage and most hand tool as well as an air compressor, but my truck won't fit in my garage so everything I do is outside on the cold ground. I did my alternator yesterday, but the pistons inside the Blizzard 810 wing was more than I wanted to tackle myself.

13. Mark Oomkes

I use the term loosely. He works for me and fixes a lot of my stuff.

I have a shop that most of my equipment will fit in so it is warm.

Once again, this is not meant to be humorous or derogatory in any manner, if so, it was purely unintentional.

14. Detroitdan

Well, fixed my lifting problem today. Turned out the lift piston where it contacts the ends of the two metal braces (that go toward the drawlatch end) wore them down in addition to bending them. Ground down the worn lip, pressed them together and welded them, then built the end back up with weld, and it lifts like a champ now.