1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow moving slower than I do!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mark04, Jan 18, 2005.

1. mark04

mark04 Junior Member
    from pa.

Hello to all, Here in Pa. it has been cold the last few days and I am having a problem with my plow. Is it normal in this weather for a meyers to move slow! in any direction? Or could I have water in my system? Seems like if it was water at this temp. it wouldnt move at all? Thank for for looking.

2. VThick

VThick Junior Member
    from Vermont

Slow moving plow

My Fisher moved slow, I had to bleed out the air by angeling it right to left 3 to 4 times. Check the fluid in it could be low. If its electrical check the connections or lastely the pump may be on its way out.
    Good luck!

3. Gene L.

Gene L. Junior Member
    from CT

you didnt say if it is mechanical pump or electric. if mechanical check teh fan belt for tightness. if electric change fluid, you should do this every year anyways. air should be bleed by movement, just check level. id its still slow you must blow by and that could be due to worn o-rings or seals, you can by a rebuild kit from myers with all the parts in it.

4. SteveVB

SteveVB Member

Did you drain the fluid before the start of the season so theres fresh(no moisture) fluid. What kind of fluid? If you have ATF in it change it out to the Meyers fluid, or the blue pump fluid.

5. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

More than likely it's moisture. Until you can drain it and replace with new fluid, take a heat gun or hair dryer and heat up the 2 hoses a little, the 2 connectors and the pump. It will move real quick after that. If it does fix the problem, it's moisture.

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i changed the fluid in my plow at the beginning of the season and for some reason when i plowed last night mine was also going slow. i got out the check my plow but since it was 5 below out, i didnt stay out long. i got back in my truck and was slow too, possible because it was 5 below. so after thinking about it for a little while, i figured since it was freaking cold out, my plow might be kinda slow too. after plowing for a while, i would speed up but if it stoped at all it would be slow again.

7. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that you've got some water in the system. We had two trucks with the same problem this morning. It was -6 here in the am - and I'm sure colder last night.
    Take the pump filters out and thaw them out and clean them. The ice crystals will collect in the fileter screen and retrict fluid flow into the pump = causing the plow to work slower. Sometimes it will speed up as you work the plow - as the plow fluid gets a little warmer. However, you run the risk of burning out a pump. You can also try to warm the entire unit up with a torpedo heater/hair dryer. This may work - but it's only a quick fix. The problem will quickly return the next time the temps hit the single digits. Good luck.

8. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Try checking any filters. Normally that's what the problem is