1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow moving slow, then quit

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Beater_K20, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

had problems with my plow the other day, went out, noticed it moving a little slow, but didnt have time to mess with it. i figured i'd limp it around, and address it later. went to plow my first driveway, pulled in, drug out from the garage, then turned the truck around and pushed it out of the driveway. when i got to the other side of the road the blade wounldnt lift. first thought was frozen pump, so i brought it in the house and set it in the basement to thaw.

brought it up tonight, drained the fluid, and its a grey color. i know, first thing you're going to say is "it should be red" well, the maintnance guys at work and i were talking, and they run hydraulic jack oil in the plows at work, and have great results with it. it is clear. so i decided to try it in mine. when i saw the fluid, i decided to pull the motor, and have a look at the filter. im glad i did! the filter was covered in a slimy film, and appeared to be almost completely clogged.

now about this time last year i had to put a new pump and motor in it, so this pump is only a year old. do you guys think that i should be ok with this pump, and it just had a clogged filter? or do you think im in for a new pump? is there any way to check it without a pressure gauge, as i dont have access to one until Tuesday, and i'm probably going to need the plow before then.

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

The pump itself should be fine. They are just gear pumps.... no MAJOR design to them. I would however take the top off the pump and make sure there is nothing in it. 2 bolts to take it out of the housing and 2 bolts to remove the top.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

x2 that parrifin substance on your filter is probley what did you in. Your pump should be a-ok.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Flush the puppy good with Meyer hydra-Flush then refill with a premium Plow fluid. Hydraulic jack oil does not have the anti freezing/foaming agents.

5. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

thanks guys, went out and bought another pump today, just in case. going to clean in out real good though and see what happens. i can return the pump if i dont need it.

6. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

tore the pump down and cleaned it out, refilled it with ATF, and reinstalled it. while i had it apart i was going to replace the filter, but i couldnt find the one that i thought i had. the parts house was closed, so i couldnt go get one, and i didnt want to cut open the box of the new pump to scab the one out of it, so i just cleaned it out real good. installed a new solenoid too, as my old one was looking pretty crusty, and god knows how old it is. works like a charm now. just need to replace my power and ground cables and it will be as good as new. not going to mess with that now, as we're supposed to get some snow later tonight. hopefully we get it good so i can go out tomorrow and make some of my money back. thanks for the help guys!