1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Moves Slowly. Used to work.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dstosh, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Well as the title states, my plow started moving really slow about 2 weeks ago. I took the motor off, and the little round spring was off. I put it back on, and I continued to use my back up plow. The weather settled down, and I tried out my original plow, it worked so I thought It was fixed. Well today, I used it for 20 seconds and it started doing the same thing, almost like because there was snow and pressure for it to move against, it regressed to the way it was before. Anyone have thoughts?

Thanks

2. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Bump Going to mess with it today. Clean the Grounds and such

3. harley9202

harley9202 Junior Member

Just a thought...check the filter. I had my fluid and filter changed last week because mine was doing the same thing. The filter was completely covered. No fluid getting through. I knocked something loose again on Tuesday night. Had to drain it and clean the filter off Wed. morning. Working fine now. I think a seal may be breaking apart.

4. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

It was the filter! I dont know why. Ive never had it do that before. The only thing I can think of is, I used brake cleaner to get out all of the old fluid and then I wiped it up with a paper towel. There must have been some fibers and such still in the aluminium.

Thanks for the heads up.

Derek

5. harley9202

harley9202 Junior Member

good news. love those cheap fixes. Mine cost me $70 the first time for the shop to find it, change fluid and filter.

6. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Well it moves great side to side now, but it only goes down when it wants to. Air in the valves? One must be sticking? I dont know

7. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

There was some gunk in the valves. I cleaned them out and it worked well for a bit, There is still some gunk in there because It is acting up again. Oh well I guess I will change the fluid again. Always something.

8. harley9202

harley9202 Junior Member

well, good luck. I hope mine stays clean for the storm we are supposed to get Sunday.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like it needs a thorough flushing as soon as the seasons over.

PM is the key..:)

10. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I am going to give it a good flushing tomorrow. How would that gunk get in there? It is getting better, I can tell there isnt as much stuff in there now. Although it does seem like the filter is clogged again.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A lot of times that "gunk" comes from deterioration of the packing seals in the lift ram and angle cylinders. As well as the fluid itself breaking down.

Also mixing different types of fluid can create "gunk" as well.

12. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

probably from the pb blaster used to loosen up the lift cylinder packing nut huh?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They must have been dried out if you had to PB it to get the cylinder retracted.

Problably not from the PB directly but from the dry packings.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The wrong fluid will start to eat o-rings and seals contributing to the "gunk" pile

15. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I have been using western plow fluid, so I have been doing my best.

How tough is it to change the packing? I do have a set in stock.

And BTW what is wrong with the word "gunk"xysport

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Define "Gunk"

White paraffin like dried up grease
    Black syrup like liquid
    heavy tar like substance
    gray paste
    Brown Sludge

Nothing wrong with the word just not very descriptive.

17. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Going to go with brown sludge. My bad

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

B&B called it:salute:, packings tend to leave a brown sludge.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The lift cylinders aren't usually bad as the packing nut will usually come out of them. But the angle rams can be a pain since they're always near the ground and suseptible to corrosion...but the procedues are the same. If you download the Western manual it has good info on packing cup repalcement procedures.

So do Taco's :D

20. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Well, The filter was clogged again with what looked like paper towel fibers.Got that cleaned out, Replaced packing, Removed valves and there was white plastic pieces in there, probably from the packing. ( I could see where it had broken off.) Got it all back together, and now all plow does is angle to the drivers side, up, and side to side-all go to the drivers side. I guess one of the valves is sticking?