1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow moves slowly only after a few hours use

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mohawkmike82, Jan 14, 2009.

1. mohawkmike82

mohawkmike82 Junior Member

Just what the title says. This is an old cable controlled Western. The plow moves fast for the first hour of use and then progressively gets slower and slower. Is the motor on its death bed? I just changed the pump fluid. Any easy answers?
  2. excavator

excavator Junior Member

I have a unimount system that did the exact same thing. As the oil warms up the speed was slower rasing. I downloaded the manual from Western site and looked up how to check pump pressure. It was easy to do by hooking up guage that could read over 2000 psi. Mine was suppose to be set at 1850 psi while holding in raised position. I was getting reading of 1400 psi. Manual shows how to adjust and I did just that. Now plow raises fast all the time. It is just a matter of old pump lost some pressure and had to be turned up a bit.
  3. mohawkmike82

mohawkmike82 Junior Member

Thanks ill look into that.