1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow moves slow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by trickynicky17, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Ok here is my problem, went to service the plow the other day and noticed it was slower than usual, drained the fluid and all that good stuff, still slow and did not sound to healthy so went to the dealer and got a new electric motor, sounds better still slow :gunsfiring: any help would be appreciated thanks. :help:

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

slow up and down , or left and right, or both? did you clean your screen when you changed your fluid?

3. it's slow all the way around, what screen???

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Theres a screen inside the res that needs to be replaced or cleaned... most of the time you can just get away with cleaning it... I usually clean mine every other year... if its slow doing everything and you put new fisher fluid in it, I bet the screen is part way plugged

5. thanks for your help

6. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

7. FuturePilot4u

FuturePilot4u Member

mine also goes slow in ALL DIRECTIONS until i move it around for about a minute, is this because the fluids are denser from sitting in the cold and not moving, after i move it for a minute it speeds up a lot

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

What your experiencing is either the result of the use of improper fluid, or fluid that has been compromised due to lack of maintenance. With certain fluids it will gel up more in colder temps, and then as it warms up with use, it will expand letting it flow more freely. If your using an aircraft hydraulic fluid or Fisher blue fluid, and it doesn't get changed often enough, condensation will contaminate it from year to year and eventually it'll compromise the components. The next thing you'll experience is frozen valves, and or clogged suction tube & filter...which in turn will put you out of commision when you need it the most. Better to change it out on your schedule, rather then mother natures.

9. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Sounds to me like you already changed your fluid, but didn't clean or replace your filter. While your in the process of doing this...again, also pull your valves (parts 10,11,&12 on the provided link). Clean them, and the bores that they came from with a can of brake cleaner, pre lube with some fluid, and re install prior to re filling the pump's reservoir.

10. thanks guys awesome info

11. Well went to move the plow the other day and its sounds awful. Moved it around for ten minutes thinking i needed to get the fluid warmed up, still bad. Its got a new motor, new fluid, clean screens, im lost???????????? Could it be the pump that the motor drives inside??? Im lost.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check you're power and ground supply.

13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Like bad how? A whining type sound or a growl?

14. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

My o4 MM2 EZ-V I got got for my now spare truck had the same thing happen. Wicked bad grinding and whining from motor even with religious maintenance. Ended rebuilding almost the whole thing, pulled everything apart and replaced all moving parts I could get to and after I put it back together and flushed fluid it ran like it was brand new.

15. Khowie 644 that sounds like the same exact problem I have. What did you replace exactly because about the only thing i have not changed is the silver pump that the electric motor drives and the valve body and solenoids???

Dieselss its both whine and growl.

16. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

I don't remember all of them exactly, but if your mechanically inclined at all just pull everything apart and clean it REALLY REALLY good. Then anything you can see with markings on it put to the side and make a list of all of them and try to find the part numbers from Fisher. Go to your local dealer and get everything and reassemble. Kinda like doing a rebuild on a car engine, but for your plow. I don't think fisher has a pump rebuild kit so you kinda have to make your own.
    -end rant-

17. Thanks for the info Khowie

18. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Gray stuff

I will make this as short as possible plow moving slow. Low fluid put more in and topped off. Still slow open filler nut for more fluid and GRAY fluid belched out of hole.
    Where is screen and how do I get to it it's a western plow
    Thanks in advance for any help

19. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

When'd the last time you changed fluid?
    What kinda western

20. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Sounds like a classic water in the fluid problem.